Posted to rec.woodworking

Default small hose/adapter for sander?

I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id
like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The
sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of
movement.

any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 30, 7:03 am, "trs80" wrote:
I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id
like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The
sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of
movement.

any thoughts?

Either "jerry-rig" it, or head to www.woodcraft.com for a "universal
tool adapter"? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 30, 7:33 am, "tom" wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:03 am, "trs80" wrote:

I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id
like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The
sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of
movement.

any thoughts?

Either "jerry-rig" it, or head towww.woodcraft.comfor a "universal
tool adapter"? Tom

And it would be in the "dust collection fittings" department. It's not
illustrated. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:
I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id
like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The
sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of
movement.

A 1 1/4" flex hose (Porter Cable sells one), duct tape, and a toilet
paper or paper towel tube will adapt anything. Slit the tube, wrap the
"nipple", and tape it to a thickness that matches the inside of the
hose. Change the tool, not the hose, and you'll only do this once.

My sanders, biscuit joiners, router fences, etc... all work great with
this method.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in message
I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia.
Id like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of
all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing?
The sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease
of movement.

any thoughts?

I know that Bosch makes one for theirs, and it works a treat. They do have
an adjustable vent to bleed in air which helps ease the load on the vacuum
or DC, but has to be set carefully to avoid the whistle. Klingspor is where
I got mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:43 am, "George" wrote:
"trs80" wrote in message

Who makes the sander?

I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia.
Id like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of
all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing?
The sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease
of movement.

any thoughts?

I know that Bosch makes one for theirs, and it works a treat. They do have
an adjustable vent to bleed in air which helps ease the load on the vacuum
or DC, but has to be set carefully to avoid the whistle. Klingspor is where
I got mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:
that would work. This a home depot item?

Very possibly, depends on the Borg.

This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-39332-Vacuum-Hose-Ports/dp/B0000222WV

This particular hose is very durable, plenty flexible, and light. A
store bought connector adapts it to my 2 1/2" vacuum hose.

This thing
@ & vertical=SEARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=009240 31000
will turn the vacuum on and off with the tool.

Velcro cable ties or double sided velcro strips, will strap the
electrical cord to the hose making it all easy to handle.

Last, but not least, a bungee from an overhead bicycle hook will hold
the hose / cable out of the way. Overhead bicycle hooks are great for
managing air hoses, too. I've got 'em all over the shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:

I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia. Id
like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing? The
sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease of
movement.

any thoughts?

I bought the Porter Cable vacuum hose for their QuickSand sander just
before finding out that a dishwasher discharge hose is the right diameter.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in
:

trs80 wrote:
that would work. This a home depot item?

Very possibly, depends on the Borg.

This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-39332-Vacuum-Hose-

Ports/dp/B0000222
WV

This particular hose is very durable, plenty flexible, and light. A
store bought connector adapts it to my 2 1/2" vacuum hose.

This thing
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...SessionID=@@@@

1998305867.
1170181327@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcaddkdegmfmmcefeceml dffidflk.0

&vertical=S
EARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=00924031000 will turn the vacuum on
and off with the tool.

Velcro cable ties or double sided velcro strips, will strap the
electrical cord to the hose making it all easy to handle.

Last, but not least, a bungee from an overhead bicycle hook will hold
the hose / cable out of the way. Overhead bicycle hooks are great for
managing air hoses, too. I've got 'em all over the shop.

My BORG wouldn't have one, but Rockler did. And they were quite proud
of that part. I think that the flexible hose for the $55 sander was
very close to $30.

I ought to get that out and hook it up more...

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

its a makita sander.

I went to Home depot and got a 6' 1.25 dia hose so that will work.

They wanted $5 for a 3" tube to adapt the 2.25" vacuum hose size. That is
criminal!!
Im making some dust collection interfaces for jointer and planer. I
wandered around looking at PVC, pipe, hose for an alternative but nothing is
very close. There is no way I will spend $5 for a plastic tube. I cut some
duct up or something first and squeeze to the right size.

"trs80" wrote in message
I have an orbital sander with dust bag. The nipple fitting is 7/8 dia.
Id like to hook that up to the shop vac as that fine dust is the worst of
all.
Where can one find or jury rig small hose and adapter for such a thing?
The sander hose would have to have a long length of the small dia for ease
of movement.

any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 30, 11:24 am, "trs80" wrote:
its a makita sander.

I went to Home depot and got a 6' 1.25 dia hose so that will work.

They wanted $5 for a 3" tube to adapt the 2.25" vacuum hose size. That is
criminal!!
Im making some dust collection interfaces for jointer and planer. I
wandered around looking at PVC, pipe, hose for an alternative but nothing is
very close. There is no way I will spend $5 for a plastic tube. I cut some
duct up or something first and squeeze to the right size.

Good thinking. Dude, you don't want to know how many times I've spent
4 hours making something I could have gone and picked up for 5 bucks
plus gas. But I think it's the journey... Tom