Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about new product (to me anyway)

Anyone ever use the Matrix XtremeSaw product
(http://matrixxtreme.com/xtreme_durable.htm)?

I'm probably going to quote a machine to drive one of these buggers in a
production drilling environment, but want to know if they actually can drill
a 8+ inch hole with a hand drill, etc. I'm thinking that any hole saw,
regardless of design, might bog down a typical machine if it's 8" round in
size...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Anyone ever use the Matrix XtremeSaw product
(http://matrixxtreme.com/xtreme_durable.htm)?

I'm probably going to quote a machine to drive one of these buggers in a
production drilling environment, but want to know if they actually can
drill a 8+ inch hole with a hand drill, etc. I'm thinking that any hole
saw, regardless of design, might bog down a typical machine if it's 8"
round in size...

The only way I see this working would be if the stock was fairly thin and
the feed rate was slow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm thinking that any hole saw,
regardless of design, might bog down a typical machine if it's 8" round in

Why? It's only an edge saw, not a area drill. Just run it at
appropriate linear speed (i.e. reduce rotational speed for the large
diameter) and the "sawing power" required remains constant while sawing
time goes up linearly with diameter (more circumference to work
through).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

The only way I see this working would be if the stock was fairly thin and
the feed rate was slow.

I agree about slow and I searched unsuccessfully for anything that gave
a maximum thickness. I can only assume that since they claim the
construction industry has a use for it, and from the images of the
blade, that it CAN cut through 3/4 sheet goods, just barely. That looks
to be about its limit and they seem to be marketing it for that sort of
thing.

Which, if it works, would be just fine. If I were a builder of houses
or sound system speakers, that is. Nice that apparently you can change
the blades.

And actually if it made a starter cut in one-inch material and I had to
finish with a jigsaw or was able to go around to the other side and
finish, that would probably help too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Anyone ever use the Matrix XtremeSaw product
(http://matrixxtreme.com/xtreme_durable.htm)?

I'm probably going to quote a machine to drive one of these buggers in a
production drilling environment, but want to know if they actually can drill
a 8+ inch hole with a hand drill, etc. I'm thinking that any hole saw,
regardless of design, might bog down a typical machine if it's 8" round in
size...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

With only 3 teeth, it probably wouldn't bog down as easy as a similar
size hole saw.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA