Posted to rec.woodworking
jan jan is offline

Default bracketless shelf??

I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then fasten
the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will hold

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it largely depends upon how you are going to fasten it, how long it
is, how many studs you might be able to attach the 1X2 to etc. More detailed
info would be needed to answer your question.
"jan" wrote in message
I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then fasten
the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will hold

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I understand your description properly, it won't be able to
hold itself up. It will need some angled shelf supports or
something.

If you mean that it is angled and fits in the corner, you have
some chance. As written, I don't see how anyone can answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)
http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

"jan" wrote in message
I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2
then fasten the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what
weight it will hold

Posted to rec.woodworking
jan jan is offline

The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with #8 wood
screws and attached through the 1x2 to 2 studs with 2" screws. thought I
should posible put the screws through the shelf about 8" apart
"jan" wrote in message
I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then
fasten the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will
hold

Posted to rec.woodworking

jan wrote:
The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with #8

wood
screws and attached through the 1x2 to 2 studs with 2" screws.

Just curious.

Why do you feel it is necessary to attach the shelf to the 1x2's with
screws?

You don't obtain any added strength and you make the installation a
real PITA.

If you attach the 1x2's to the studs, then allow the 1x2's to support
the shelf on 3 sides, you're good to go.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

It will not be able to hold itself up. There are many things that
can be done to make a serviceable shelf. Perhaps one of the
easiest for DIY would be to mount shelf standards with arms. The
trickiest thing here would be to find the studs or use proper
anchors in drywall and keeping the standards at the same
elevation.

Here is an example:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=106 though the stuff is
available at all Borgs, Ace, Wal-Mart, etc.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shelf is 40"long and is going to be attached to the 1x2 with

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:35:08 GMT, "jan" wrote:

I have a 10" shelf 3/4 stock and am going to fasten it to a 1x2 then fasten
the 1x2 to the wall Does anyone have any idea what weight it will hold

Not enough information. You want to use the wall studs whenever
possible, not molly or plastic anchors.

help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 09:59 PM
Shelf Brian In Hampton Woodworking 4 April 22nd 06 11:21 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 04:09 AM
Shelf Jo Home Repair 3 May 5th 04 01:36 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM