Jo

Default Shelf

I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with hidden
brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it and
secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've also
seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports into a
wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure.

Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my own?

DanG

As far as I know, you will have to build your own or hire someone
to create them.

The first one you mentioned is known as a stress skin panel. The
other system is totally self designed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Jo" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with

hidden
brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it

and
secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've

also
seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports

into a
wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure.

Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my

own?

I.R. Private

"DanG" wrote in news:TiElc.15004$5a.13262@okepread03:

As far as I know, you will have to build your own or hire someone
to create them.

The first one you mentioned is known as a stress skin panel. The
other system is totally self designed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Jo" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with

hidden
brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it

and
secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've

also
seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports

into a
wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure.

Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my

own?

I've seen these and others at Ikea in Singapore and Taiwan. I would imagine
that Ikea in the US should do them as well.
Mary Shafer

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:28:25 GMT, Jo
wrote:

I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with hidden
brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it and
secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've also
seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports into a
wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure.

Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my own?

There are shelves with no visible means of support in the Hold
Everything catalog in a variety of styles. I have always assumed that
some sort of bracket gets attached to the wall and the shelf itself is
slipped over or onto that bracket. Sort of like towel racks, in other
words.

The Exposures catalog has shelves like this, too. I think Pottery
Barn might, also.

The shelves are very stylish these days. I'm going to get some in
teak to put airplane models on in my dining room.

Mary