Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1-3/4" OD guide bushing.

For some reason or another, I cannot find a router guide bushing bigger
than the normal 1" or so.
I bought some many years ago. Two of them. One was 1-3/4" OD and one
was 1-5/8" OD.
They are used in conjuction with either a 3/4" or a 5/8" bushing along
with a 1/2 bit in order to make inside-outside parts for inlay work.
I have a kit for a 1/4" bit from Lee Valley, which achieves the same
thing, but doesn't have the utility to be plowing out 1/2" acrylic. For
that, I want to use a 1/2" single flute up-spiral.
I suppose the option is to have a machinist make me a sleeve that steps
up a 3/4 bushing to 1-3/4".
But I KNOW the larger ones exists, but just can't find the things
anywhere.

HELP??

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

For some reason or another, I cannot find a router guide bushing bigger
than the normal 1" or so.

snip

Take a look at tooling hardware manufacturers who supply the tooling
industry (Dies, jigs, etc).

They offer things like spherical washers, shoulder screws, crank
handles, etc.

There was a company in Cleveland that specialized in making this kind of
stuff, but I have been away from it for too long to remember who it was.

Sorry, best I can do.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hmmm, they sell them that big for shapers. (also called rub collars) I
have a whole slew of them. 1/2 inch i.d. I have got some from busy bee
and from woodcraft. Beware the cheap ones that can come apart or have a
band of metal around them for sizing.

example
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4183

Is this the sort of thing you wanted?

John

Robatoy wrote:

For some reason or another, I cannot find a router guide bushing bigger
than the normal 1" or so.
I bought some many years ago. Two of them. One was 1-3/4" OD and one
was 1-5/8" OD.
They are used in conjuction with either a 3/4" or a 5/8" bushing along
with a 1/2 bit in order to make inside-outside parts for inlay work.
I have a kit for a 1/4" bit from Lee Valley, which achieves the same
thing, but doesn't have the utility to be plowing out 1/2" acrylic. For
that, I want to use a 1/2" single flute up-spiral.
I suppose the option is to have a machinist make me a sleeve that steps
up a 3/4 bushing to 1-3/4".
But I KNOW the larger ones exists, but just can't find the things
anywhere.

HELP??

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I suppose the option is to have a machinist make me a sleeve that steps
up a 3/4 bushing to 1-3/4".

This is the sort of thing I was wanting to warn you against. I have had
them almost come off while running my shaper. Yet they seemed secure
enough beforhand..

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eddie Munster wrote:

Is this the sort of thing you wanted?

Thanks for looking for me, but I'm after one of these with an OD of
1-5/8" or 1-3/4".
The threaded part is still the Porter Cable standard, but the OD is
wider than the hole.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1392

I know where to get one as a part of an installation kit for
Counter-Seal solid surface trim rings (for undermounting a sink in a
laminate countertop) But I'm not paying $ 200.00 just to get one of
those.
I now buy the rings already mounted in pc board, so I no longer need
that bushing for that job, so I sold the installation kit.

Maybe if I find a ring 1-3/4 OD and 3/4" ID then I'd have the same
set-up as the Lee Valley inlay bushing, but more robust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Visitor wrote:
Okay, now I understand.

Good! It's a bit hard to explain. It's kinda like this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43000,51208
(open up that little blue 'instr' thingy, right next to the price.
That explains everything.)
but I want to use two separate bushings and a 1/2" bit.

I have used the 1/4" set-up before on 1/8th inch solid surface and that
worked flawlessly.
I made a separate base-plate for the router, and floated the bushing,
in an over-sized hole, in epoxy so I ended up with a dead-centre
location of the routerbit vs bushing.
But because I need to have the bit extend 2 x 1/2" plus the bushing
body, a 1/4" bit is just too sloppy.... and scary.