Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Alligator Saw or Sabre Saws

Does anyone have any experience of Dewalt DW390 275mm Alligator Saw or
BOSCH PROFESSIONAL 1600W TANDEM SAW GFZ 16-35AC. I have an electric
chain saw which does most of what I need to do for preparing wood for
turning but I thought that theses other saws might be safer and easier
to use for knocking corners off of bowl blanks etc. I do not have a
very big band saw or much room in the workshop (shed really workshop is
a bit grand) so I thought one of these saws might come in handy,however
I dont want to buy one and then find they dont work very well.

Happy new year. Chas

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Bowlauncher wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of Dewalt DW390 275mm Alligator Saw or
BOSCH PROFESSIONAL 1600W TANDEM SAW GFZ 16-35AC. I have an electric
chain saw which does most of what I need to do for preparing wood for
turning but I thought that theses other saws might be safer and easier
to use for knocking corners off of bowl blanks etc. I do not have a
very big band saw or much room in the workshop (shed really workshop is
a bit grand) so I thought one of these saws might come in handy,however
I dont want to buy one and then find they dont work very well.

Happy new year. Chas

The Milwaukee SawzAll is the gold standard of the tool world for that
type of saw. Get the top of the line model because for what you use it
for, that model has a unique anti-kickback feature that you really
need. As time goes on, you will find the saw to be essential for all
kinds of household tasks, even light tree trimming, for example. Our
local public works people use one in excavations for hacking off tree
roots as a much safer alternative to an axe. HTH

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:26:21 -0800, Joe wrote:

Bowlauncher wrote:
[...]

What he's looking at is a different type of machine from a Sawzall. Both
the machines he's looking at have dual blades that move in opposite
directions. They seem to be a UK thing--I have no idea for what purpose
they were created or how well they work.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
Bowlauncher wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joe
These saws are a bit different than the Sawzall they have a guide bar
like a chain saw and two reciprocating blades which move in opposite
directions making for a steadier cutting action.The bar and blades are
about 14inches long so they can cut fairly thick wood.They are also
used for cutting building blocks with different blades fitted.I have
never used one and just wondered if they were any good.

Chas.