Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tannewitz GH 36" Bandsaw

Tilting table 35-1/2" X 37" auxillary table, 16-1/2" X19" underneath
guide, 7-1/2 ph 3 ph mptor, automatic brake, serial # 6068.

Can this tool's motor be changed for 220 (home shop) usage? I may be
able to get this saw for less than $500.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:02:23 -0800, Sonny wrote:

Tilting table 35-1/2" X 37" auxillary table, 16-1/2" X19" underneath
guide, 7-1/2 ph 3 ph mptor, automatic brake, serial # 6068.

Can this tool's motor be changed for 220 (home shop) usage? I may be
able to get this saw for less than $500.

That saw stands about ten feet tall and weighs a ton and
a half or so. Are you _sure_ you want it?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the feedback, John.

My shop can handle a 10' , ton & a half tool. There are 2 of these
saws available. There are two Tannewitz RHS 42" Cap. bandsaws
available, as well, nearly as cheaply. I do have my own logs milled
and, at times, I would like to re-saw some of the timbers I have. I
often times think I need a larger bandsaw. I had wondered if these
saws could be set up to accommodate my not-so-normal cutting. I
suspect these saws may not operate at their best if I remove the 3
phase motor and install a 220 motor, if they are adaptable that way.
My shop is for hobby work, ie., at home, not an industrial setting, so
I would need to convert the electricals.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

The best you could hope for is 5hp on a single phase
motor at 220. I suspect that would work fine but
are you aware of the blade cost for a 36" saw ???

You could screw around with a rotary phase converter
also...

Go over to http://www.owwm.org and ask around.

I suspect that has already been done(several times)
by some of the guys over there....

Tannewitz is deluxe old iron and treasured by many folks.

That's a $7,000 table saw....

http://www.tannewitz.com/tannwood/PowerSeries.asp

Sonny wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, John.

My shop can handle a 10' , ton & a half tool. There are 2 of these
saws available. There are two Tannewitz RHS 42" Cap. bandsaws
available, as well, nearly as cheaply. I do have my own logs milled
and, at times, I would like to re-saw some of the timbers I have. I
often times think I need a larger bandsaw. I had wondered if these
saws could be set up to accommodate my not-so-normal cutting. I
suspect these saws may not operate at their best if I remove the 3
phase motor and install a 220 motor, if they are adaptable that way.
My shop is for hobby work, ie., at home, not an industrial setting, so
I would need to convert the electricals.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:47:50 +0000, Pat Barber wrote:

The best you could hope for is 5hp on a single phase
motor at 220. I suspect that would work fine but
are you aware of the blade cost for a 36" saw ???

FWIW, there's a 7.5 HP single phase Baldor on ebay right now--draws more
than 30 amps IIRC. Leeson also lists single-phase motors with up to 10
horsepower.

How difficult they would be to fit to the Tannewitz I have no idea, but
given access to a machine shop and a good stock of scrap just about
anything can be cobbled.

Sonny wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, John.

My shop can handle a 10' , ton & a half tool. There are 2 of these
saws available. There are two Tannewitz RHS 42" Cap. bandsaws
available, as well, nearly as cheaply. I do have my own logs milled
and, at times, I would like to re-saw some of the timbers I have. I
often times think I need a larger bandsaw. I had wondered if these
saws could be set up to accommodate my not-so-normal cutting. I
suspect these saws may not operate at their best if I remove the 3
phase motor and install a 220 motor, if they are adaptable that way. My
shop is for hobby work, ie., at home, not an industrial setting, so I
would need to convert the electricals.

Sonny

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"motor be changed for 220"

I've seen a device that converts "household" 220VAC to drive a 3PH
motor. As I real, it was some sort of motor itself. The client got rid of it
when we got her new shop - cannot recall why.

Suspect the converter might cost you as much as the saw in this case -
google "three phase converter"

"Sonny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tilting table 35-1/2" X 37" auxillary table, 16-1/2" X19" underneath
guide, 7-1/2 ph 3 ph mptor, automatic brake, serial # 6068.

Can this tool's motor be changed for 220 (home shop) usage? I may be
able to get this saw for less than $500.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Sonny wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, John.

My shop can handle a 10' , ton & a half tool. There are 2 of these
saws available. There are two Tannewitz RHS 42" Cap. bandsaws
available, as well, nearly as cheaply. I do have my own logs milled
and, at times, I would like to re-saw some of the timbers I have. I
often times think I need a larger bandsaw. I had wondered if these
saws could be set up to accommodate my not-so-normal cutting. I
suspect these saws may not operate at their best if I remove the 3
phase motor and install a 220 motor, if they are adaptable that way.
My shop is for hobby work, ie., at home, not an industrial setting, so
I would need to convert the electricals.

If you really have work of the size to justify this saw, you'll be far
better off investing in the rotary phase converter than in a
single-phase motor (and probably not a lot of difference in cost.)