Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex

Default Bandsaw - 19" Grizzly or 18" Rikon

I know this has to have been bounced around a jillion times alreaby so
please bear with me.

I'm looking at a new bandsaw and am torn between the Grizzly G0514X
(19") and the Rikon 10-345 (18"). Prices are comparable but there are
definitely some differences in specs.

Can anyone please enlighten me as to which is the better choice? I
guess it's fair to say I'm a serious woodworker but don't make a living
at it and I don't plan to buy another bandsaw. Also, I'm not going to
pop for the Laguna - too pricey for me.

Thanks,
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

I went through this same process back in October, between the Rikon 18
and the Grizzly 17 inch models. I went with the Rikon after reading a
few reviews. Main selling points for me were the cast iron wheels and
the ball bearing guides. Also, as I recall, reviewers said the Rikon
guides were easier to set up after a blade change. Clincher was when
Woodcraft had it on sale for $900 that month.

The saw runs great and I am very pleased with my purchase.

-jj.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

wrote in message
oups.com...
I went through this same process back in October, between the Rikon 18
and the Grizzly 17 inch models. I went with the Rikon after reading a
few reviews. Main selling points for me were the cast iron wheels and
the ball bearing guides. Also, as I recall, reviewers said the Rikon
guides were easier to set up after a blade change. Clincher was when
Woodcraft had it on sale for $900 that month.

The saw runs great and I am very pleased with my purchase.

-jj.

I'll second that. I just bought one last month. Very happy with it.

Very happy with there customer service also. My motor gave me trouble a
week after owning it and they sent me a new motor and told me to keep the
old motor for parts. So far, no problems with the new motor. I think I
just got a damaged one originally.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tex

In article , .@. says...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I went through this same process back in October, between the Rikon 18
and the Grizzly 17 inch models. I went with the Rikon after reading a
few reviews. Main selling points for me were the cast iron wheels and
the ball bearing guides. Also, as I recall, reviewers said the Rikon
guides were easier to set up after a blade change. Clincher was when
Woodcraft had it on sale for $900 that month.

The saw runs great and I am very pleased with my purchase.

-jj.

I'll second that. I just bought one last month. Very happy with it.

Very happy with there customer service also. My motor gave me trouble a
week after owning it and they sent me a new motor and told me to keep the
old motor for parts. So far, no problems with the new motor. I think I
just got a damaged one originally.

Thanks to both of you. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I've
been leaning to the Rikon but that Griz caught my attention and I
thought I'd better bounce it off someone who's "been there".

Thanks again,
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Tex wrote:

Can anyone please enlighten me as to which is the better choice? I
guess it's fair to say I'm a serious woodworker but don't make a living
at it and I don't plan to buy another bandsaw. Also, I'm not going to
pop for the Laguna - too pricey for me.

Thanks,
Glen

I will add that the cast iron wheels (on the Rikon) make a huge
difference. I've used a big Jet (Pretty sure it was the 18") with
aluminum wheels and the Rikon cuts a lot better. My guess is that the
Grizzley has aluminum wheels.

I've got some vibration on my Rikon, but it's not a huge deal. I've cut
bowl blanks out of maple logs roughly 9" thick with no problem on the
Rikon.. that's the main reason I bought it.