Creekbuster

Default Comments Grizzly 0513 17" Bandsaw for resawing

I'm looking at replacing my little 10" bandsaw with one that I can do resawing
on. I purchased a 8" grizzly joiner and have enjoyed it's performance price
point. I want at least 8" or greater capacity for resawing. I would like to
spend around $1100.00. Has anyone used this bandsaw or the 19" G0514 model. I
haven't done any resawing but feel I need to plan on a bandsaw that can handle
it down the road.
I'm adding new equipment to my shop that should take handle my needs for the
next five years or so. I have a Delta 10" Unisaw With Biesemeyer and a grizzly
G0500 8" x 75" joiner. I'm retired so I can work most days in my shop. Thanks
for the help as always.

Any comments on what is really needed to do resawing would help also. Thanks

I have a 514 for a few years now. First I got a 1 inch 3 TPI
timberwolf blade for resawing. Cut like butter on softwoods and was
pretty good on madrone, oak and bay laurel (these are my local trees).
Mostly green wood up to 10 inches thick. When it started to wear out,
I started burning stuff and drifting, especially hardwood. I learned
that when the blade is done, it is done, toss it! Since it was my
first bandsaw, I questioned whether if the saw needed adjustment since
the teeth felt pretty sharp, but it was the blade just wearing out. I
then bought a couple of the half inch woodslicer blades from highland
hardware. Thinner kerf, smoother cut and overall I prefer these even
though they are not as wide. My first one seemed to last a little
longer than the timberwolf, but I did cut a bunch of bark with the TW.
Cut a bunch of 1/8 stock for a laminated bracelet for the wife last
winter. Just a little drum sanding and the pieces were ready for
gluing. I now try and prep green wood as much as possible since bark
seems to hold a bunch of abrasive dirt even if it looks clean. It is
also more useful to leave the 1/2 incher on the saw for general
purposes. The finish with a new or nearly new blade is excellent. I
will soon try the 3/4 inch woodslicer to see how it does. Manual is
the same for the 17 and 19 inch models, so I suspect very little
differences other than lateral cutting capacity and blade length.
Jaime

Creekbuster wrote:
I'm looking at replacing my little 10" bandsaw with one that I can do resawing
on. I purchased a 8" grizzly joiner and have enjoyed it's performance price
point. I want at least 8" or greater capacity for resawing. I would like to
spend around $1100.00. Has anyone used this bandsaw or the 19" G0514 model. I
haven't done any resawing but feel I need to plan on a bandsaw that can handle
it down the road.
I'm adding new equipment to my shop that should take handle my needs for the
next five years or so. I have a Delta 10" Unisaw With Biesemeyer and a grizzly
G0500 8" x 75" joiner. I'm retired so I can work most days in my shop. Thanks
for the help as always.

Any comments on what is really needed to do resawing would help also. Thanks

Tyke

I have the G0513, bought over 1 year ago. If you get a decent blade, this
should resaw quite well. I like the Timberwolf blades. Grizzly now sells
these, but has a limited range. The source is http://www.timberwolf1.com/

I have been very happy with this unit. I love the lever spring blade
tension, the rack and pinion height adjustment and the fence.

I do take advantage of the lever spring tension to remove tension when not
in use. The only hiccup this causes is the blade slipping off if I forget
to re-tension before use. I ended up with a post-it note at the switch.

Dave Paine.

"Creekbuster" wrote in message
[...]

Grizzly Ultimate 14" Bandsaw Bob Darrah Woodturning 2 May 3rd 05 02:27 AM
Grizzly Bandsaw? Fred Wray Woodturning 4 August 19th 04 01:54 PM
A Few Notes on My New Grizzly G1018HW 8" jointer Darrell Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 12:19 AM
Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw blade question Wayne Brissette Woodworking 4 December 31st 03 12:10 AM
Any Grizzly bandsaw owners ? L. Wilson Woodworking 6 November 15th 03 01:16 AM