Bob Darrah

Default Grizzly Ultimate 14" Bandsaw

I know that the topic of which bandsaw is best comes up frequently but I
would like to hear from those that have had the Grizzly Ultimate 14" bandsaw
for awhile. It's been out for a couple of years and I think I can get some
good opinions now. How is it holding up? Is it still a good machine when
adding the 6" riser block? Are the bearings good? Does the Carter blade
guide fit the Grizzly bandsaw? Is there anything I should know before buying
one? I am looking at the Jet 14" that is on sale and will be choosing one of
them by the middle of the month. I'm fairly knowledgeable about the Jet. I
will be cutting mostly Big Leaf Maple and Maple Burl for the lathe and it
will be getting usage daily. I also have some Desert Ironwood that I will
cutting. I know I have to have a bi-metal blade for the ironwood. I found
that out on a smaller saw.

Thanks to any that leave messages for me!

Bob

George

"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
[...]

Carter guides are for resawing. I'd stick to ceramics for roughing.
They're very slick, hold the blade in check well, and don't corrode if you
forget to clean after a green/wet wood session.

My experience with Grizzly is less than positive, but a lot of people feel
the price difference is worth the chance. At our school shop we had a lot
of cracked castings, and the bandsaw wouldn't hold a setting long enough for
you to turn around and exchange tool for workpiece. Casting faults
cheerfully replaced in all cases, though the bandsaw problem was solved by
getting a Delta to sit next to its 50-year-old ancestor.

Greetings Bob,

I have had the G0555 with the riser block for over a year now, with no
complaints at all. It is used almost daily and the only thing I have
ever replaced is one of the guide berrings that froze on me after
getting a piece of alabaster wedged in just the wrong position.
It runs smooth as silk and have never experienced any sort of setting
changes despite the fact that it is often called on to handle much more
than it was designed for. While I like Jet tools and have several,
grizzly has a real winner in this one.

Adjusting Grizzly 14" bandsaw ? Mike King Woodworking 13 May 3rd 16 03:44 AM
Grizzly Bandsaw? Fred Wray Woodturning 4 August 19th 04 01:54 PM
A Few Notes on My New Grizzly G1018HW 8" jointer Darrell Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 12:19 AM
Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw blade question Wayne Brissette Woodworking 4 December 31st 03 12:10 AM
Any Grizzly bandsaw owners ? L. Wilson Woodworking 6 November 15th 03 01:16 AM