Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default 4 X 6 bandsaw, "Un-table" for vertical use

Just got done doing some freehand sawing of 3/16" and 1/2" thick stock
using my 15 year old Taiwan H/V 4 X 6" band saw.
That got me tingking about the table I use in the vertical position.
Background:
Some of these saws come with a 8" X 8" or so table that bolts on to
the blade guide closest to the motor end of the saw. The table works
fine, but you have to install/remove all the time.
I also noticed that the guide on some of these saws is positioned
in such a way that there is a tiny table (2" X 2")screwed to the guide.
This little table stays there all the time.
Unfortunately, the design of my saw is such that there is no room for
a table even that big.
My Table:
So, I made a table a little smaller than that, that stuck out about
1/2" in front of the blade. But it still ran into the fixed vise jaw
etc., so I kept trimming it off until it fit. Now, the "table" only
extends about 3/16" beyond the blade and is only about 1/4" wide on
either side.
All you realy need is enough "table" to keep the material from being
pulled down into the guide.
I never have to take it off. Works fine!

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

I do not think my H/V bandsw has ever had that table that ships with
it mounted but one time, and it was too much of a hassle to mount and
unmount. I got adept at usuing it just fine without any table. I added
a sort of mini table to mine, but its more of a function to hold the
rubber and brush wipers for the blade than a table but it serves as a
mini table when I used it. Rare to use it anymore in the vertical
position since I have the homebrew 20" bandsaw in use.....

Thats a good idea you have in adding a small mini table to keep in
place all the time. Heck its not like anyone is juggling 4x8 sheets of
material on it.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

spaco wrote:

... So, I made a table a little smaller than that, that stuck out about
1/2" in front of the blade. ...
All you realy need is enough "table" to keep the material from being
pulled down into the guide. ...

Having just switched my 4x6 to upright and needing it back to
horizontal, I immediately saw the worth of your idea. 'Just finished
making my 2 x 2 1/2 "table" and it does indeed work "just fine".

Thanks for the tip,
Bob

Bandsaw Woodborg Woodturning 2 December 12th 05 08:35 PM
Verify my Bandsaw SFPM Calculations Please Wally Blackburn Metalworking 5 November 21st 04 01:21 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM