Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lye in S.E. America?

Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of a
source.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 0SYgh.6152$hy6.3288@trnddc05, "resrfglc" wrote:
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of a
source.

Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm
pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to it.
Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.

Ask for Red Devil lye. It's the most common brand.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

. ..
wrote:
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of
source.

Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm
pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to
it.
Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.

A couple years ago I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally bought some drain
cleaner that had lye as the only active ingredient. Didn't like what it did
to cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of
source.

Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm
pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to
it.
Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.

A couple years ago I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally bought some drain
cleaner that had lye as the only active ingredient. Didn't like what it did
to cherry.

Was it white? If not it had a dye in it. Not an active ingredient
when
cleaning drains perhaps. Draino also has aluminum flakes in it,
which is an active ingredient, a very active one and should be labeled
as such.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not interested in it for WOOD, but for electrolytic'ly removing rust -
didn't mention the intended use to try and keep everyone on topic.

I've looked in ACE and HOME DEPOT and LOWES for Red Devil (as I, too,
rememberthat brand and wish I could find it.) without success.

Thanks for the feedback

wrote:
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of
source.

Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm
pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to
it.
Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.

A couple years ago I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally bought some
drain cleaner that had lye as the only active ingredient. Didn't like
what it did to cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

resrfglc wrote:

Not interested in it for WOOD, but for electrolytic'ly removing rust -
didn't mention the intended use to try and keep everyone on topic.

I've looked in ACE and HOME DEPOT and LOWES for Red Devil (as I, too,
rememberthat brand and wish I could find it.) without success.

It appears Red Devil Lye was discontinued about a year ago. Here's a
link to an article by a soap makers suggesting sources for lye:

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/co...lyesources.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article Dv%gh.696$od6.582@trnddc04, "resrfglc" wrote:
Not interested in it for WOOD, but for electrolytic'ly removing rust -

Washing soda works well for that purpose, too, and isn't anywhere nearly as
hazardous.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time.
Lye is commonly available in grocery stores and
many other types of stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly
available in grocery stores and many other types of stores.

Things change. From "Wikipedia" regarding lye uses"

"Illegal drugs

Because it is a key ingredient in the process of making Methamphetamine,
it is now impossible to purchase pure Sodium hydroxide as a consumer
product in the United States. Products containing pure Sodium hydroxide,
such as Red Devil, are no longer available for sale. As a result,
amateur soapmakers must now purchase Sodium hydroxide in bulk."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_...#Illegal_drugs

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:
wrote:

Was it white? If not it had a dye in it. Not an active ingredient
when
cleaning drains perhaps. Draino also has aluminum flakes in it,
which is an active ingredient, a very active one and should be labeled
as such.

Actually, lye IS an active ingredient.

He said the *dye* is not an active ingredient...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

THANK YOU lots of sources mentioned:

Where to Buy Lye
From David Fisher,
Your Guide to Candle and Soap Making.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
No Lye = No Soap
(Note: Upated list of lye vendors below)
Well, it's been over a year now now, and we're still making soap. There was
worry when Red Devil Lye was taken from the shelves...but a number of online
and local vendors have taken up the slack to make up for Red Devil Lye being
pulled from the supermarkets.

Here are stores, sites and solutions that many soap makers have come up
with:

a.. Get together with other soap makers in your area and "go in" on buying
a bag of lye, carefully splitting it between you. Lots of soap makers buy
their lye in bulk. Most large cities have a solvent or chemical company that
will sell lye (Sodium Hydroxide) in 35 or 50 lb. bags. You'll pay a fraction
(per pound) of what the Red Devil cost, but, you've got to be able to safely
store that much lye. Remember the cautions you go through with a 12 oz. jar
of lye, now imagine 35 lbs. of it!
b.. Buy a whole bag yourself, knowing that it needs to be stored in an
airtight container, safely away from children, pets or other unknowing
people.
c.. Check your local hardware store - Several people have written me
claiming to have found Crystal Drain Opener at their local Lowe's, Home
Depot or Wal-Mart. The label states 100% sodium hydroxide! BUT, it's best to
check the manufacturers site and check the MSDS sheets for the product. I
had one user write me and say that while the label said 100% lye, the MSDS
sheet said otherwise.
d.. Buy lye from one of the following online mail order vendors:
a..
b.. Camden-GreyBitter Creek Candle Co.-buy only 2 lbs!
c.. Texas Natural Supply
d.. Lehman's Soapmaking Supplies
e.. The Boyer Corporation
f.. Snowdrift Farm
g.. The Soap Dish
h.. ChemistryStore.com

"Nova" wrote in message
resrfglc wrote:

Not interested in it for WOOD, but for electrolytic'ly removing rust -
didn't mention the intended use to try and keep everyone on topic.

I've looked in ACE and HOME DEPOT and LOWES for Red Devil (as I, too,
rememberthat brand and wish I could find it.) without success.

It appears Red Devil Lye was discontinued about a year ago. Here's a link
to an article by a soap makers suggesting sources for lye:

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/co...lyesources.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lye is commonly available in grocery stores "

No so in my area. Red Devil is no longer carried by the stores here. Lord
knows, I've tried and called 'round.

However, FYI, I did find an approach that relies upon Arm & Hammer Baking
Soda or Laundry Soda in lieu of the "Lye" [Sodium Hydroxide] to derust
items.

Subsequent posts explain why it has been "pulled from the shelves."

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly available
in grocery stores and many other types of stores.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George E. Cawthon wrote:
snip
Lye acting on the aluminum creates heat and bubbles, increasing the
possibility of moving mass obstructions.

Lye plus aluminum plus water creates hydrogen.

When I was a curious lad, I used to place a tablespoon of Drano brand
lye in an old soda pop bottle along with some water and then stick in
strips of aluminum foil and place a balloon over the mouth of the bottle
and the balloon would fill up with hydrogen. If you add too much lye,
it will generate enough heat to crack the bottle, so be very careful and
start with small amounts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly
available in grocery stores and many other types of stores.

Things change. From "Wikipedia" regarding lye uses"

"Illegal drugs

Because it is a key ingredient in the process of making Methamphetamine,
it is now impossible to purchase pure Sodium hydroxide as a consumer
product in the United States. Products containing pure Sodium hydroxide,
such as Red Devil, are no longer available for sale. As a result,
amateur soapmakers must now purchase Sodium hydroxide in bulk."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_...#Illegal_drugs

Bull! the Wikipedia article (if you quoted
accurately) isn't true. You should know that
individuals write Wikipedia and you have to be
rather skeptical of the articles. For example,
look above at the poorly written part that you
quote, "Products containing pure Sodium
hydroxide...." That statement is very strange in
addition to the capitalized sodium. "Products
containing" sounds like you have pure sodium
hydroxide mixed with other things which would make
the sodium hydroxide impure.

In any case, oven cleaners (which are NaOH with a
propellant) are still widely available, as well as
dry NaOH in pound quantities, in the PNW. That
makes the Wikipedia article untrue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not sure when my latest purchase of lye was, but
it was less than 1 year ago. Just for the hell of
it I will check in a few stores tomorrow.

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly available
in grocery stores and many other types of stores.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Nova wrote:

Things change. From "Wikipedia" regarding lye uses"

"Illegal drugs

snip

Bull! the Wikipedia article (if you quoted accurately) isn't true.

Here's a link to a soap makers supply that sells lye. Read their
statement on compliance with state/local laws. Note the Indiana
"MethWatch" symbol near the bottom of the page.

http://www.thesoapdish.com/caustics.htm

Other "MethWatch" states include:

Georgia
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Montana
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

Federal legislation is being called for.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article XZmhh.3028$386.405@trndny01, Nova wrote:

Here's a link to a soap makers supply that sells lye. Read their
statement on compliance with state/local laws. Note the Indiana
"MethWatch" symbol near the bottom of the page.

http://www.thesoapdish.com/caustics.htm

I live in Indianapolis -- I'll check tomorrow at the store where I bought Red
Devil the last time I wanted some and see if they still have it. And I'll let
you know.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:22:17 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Nova wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

[...]

The manufacturer's product page is
http://www.reckittprofessional.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=11&searchType=BPL&templat e=1.
There is a "where to buy" link off of that but I'm not clear if it is for
that product specifically or for all products from the manufacturer.

On the other hand it would not surprise me if some coalition of
blue-haired ladies had a tantrum and persuaded the stores to stop selling
it.

FWIW, Fisher and Sargent-Welch both list various grades of sodium
hydroxide pellets, however I have no idea what restrictions they place on
ordering.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lye acting on the aluminum creates heat and bubbles ....

For what it's worth, when lye reacts with aluminum it generates
hydrogen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
Nova wrote:

[...]

Boy they really covered their ass! It appears that
participation in the program is voluntary and they
set their own limits and parameters. Control of
the main substance is far more important and is
currently being addressed in many or most states.

Glad to see that Idaho is not on that list of
MethWatch states. Federal and State officials
indicate that most meth that comes into Idaho is
manufactured in Mexico, not locally manufactured.
So, focus on controlling something like NaOH
would be rather unproductive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Glad to see that Idaho is not on that list of
MethWatch states. Federal and State officials
indicate that most meth that comes into Idaho is
manufactured in Mexico, not locally manufactured.
So, focus on controlling something like NaOH
would be rather unproductive.

Thank God they don't make crystal Meth from wood!

--

FF

remove aluminum off of crankshaft? lye?? [email protected] Home Repair 19 March 31st 16 02:44 AM
Nancy Loves George: The Elites-Driven 'White Trashing of America' to Degrade, Demoralize & Replace White America fred Home Repair 0 November 5th 06 01:54 PM
Lye and carbide mark Metalworking 10 February 28th 06 12:42 AM
Boiling lye water. OT, but.. Dave Metalworking 22 January 28th 05 07:49 PM
Coloring Cherry with Lye Doug Goulden Woodworking 16 December 2nd 04 11:54 AM