Posted to rec.woodworking
resrfglc resrfglc is offline

Default Lye in S.E. America?

"Lye is commonly available in grocery stores "

No so in my area. Red Devil is no longer carried by the stores here. Lord
knows, I've tried and called 'round.

However, FYI, I did find an approach that relies upon Arm & Hammer Baking
Soda or Laundry Soda in lieu of the "Lye" [Sodium Hydroxide] to derust
items.

Subsequent posts explain why it has been "pulled from the shelves."

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Lye, AKA: Caustic or sodium hydroxide.

May not be available to the general retail public, but a very common
industrial chemical.

Lew

Oh for Pete's sake. This comes up all the time. Lye is commonly available
in grocery stores and many other types of stores.