Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Lye in S.E. America?

wrote:
Toller wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article 0SYgh.6152$hy6.3288@trnddc05, "resrfglc"
wrote:
Preferably in SW FLA or SW North Carolina.

A source for plain ole Lye. If you know of one, pls advise if you know of
source.
Any hardware store should have it -- Ace, TruValue, Do-It-Best, etc. I'm
pretty sure I've seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, too, but can't swear to
it.
Lots of grocery stores around here (Indianapolis) sell it, too.

A couple years ago I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally bought some drain
cleaner that had lye as the only active ingredient. Didn't like what it did
to cherry.

Was it white? If not it had a dye in it. Not an active ingredient
when
cleaning drains perhaps. Draino also has aluminum flakes in it,
which is an active ingredient, a very active one and should be labeled
as such.

Actually, lye IS an active ingredient. Lye
dissolves fats (lye plus fat makes soap) and lye
dissolves proteins. Thus lye is active for the
two major causes of drain blockage.

Lye acting on the aluminum creates heat and
bubbles, increasing the possibility of moving mass
obstructions.