Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Proper name for type of router bit?

SimonLW wrote:
I have a trimmer bit that has a bearing on the end and the blade that cuts
the same diameter of bearing above this bearing to trim the the "overage"
off the edge.

What I'm looking for is something with the reverse arrangement. I work with
plexi. I want to lay the template on top of the sheet and trace around it
with my router to make copies. The follower bearing and blade would have to
be narrower diameter than a trimmer bit for obvious reasons.

What am I after and who sells these bits?
Thanks!

Template bit
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...203860_8893+47

Posted to rec.woodworking

remember that a lot of bits could come with the bearing on either end,
extending possible uses. Also the ability to use bearings of different
diameter on the same bit can be usefull. Sometimes these bearings are
interchangable throughout the set, if it was part of one, but there are less
optional diameters; sometimes work, some not. May need to search. Inner
bering diameters std?: don't know. Unususal to get a lot (up to half) of
options?: probably.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SimonLW (in ) said:

| I have a trimmer bit that has a bearing on the end and the blade
| that cuts the same diameter of bearing above this bearing to trim
| the the "overage" off the edge.
|
| What I'm looking for is something with the reverse arrangement. I
| work with plexi. I want to lay the template on top of the sheet and
| trace around it with my router to make copies. The follower bearing
| and blade would have to be narrower diameter than a trimmer bit for
| obvious reasons.
|
| What am I after and who sells these bits?
| Thanks!

I think you're after a "pattern bit" - but there's also a "dado clean
out bit" and a flush trim/pattern bit (with bearings at both ends of
the cutters) shown in my MLCS catalog.

There really isn't any reason that a smaller diameter would be a
requirement - but I think I (personally) would much prefer to do that
cutting on a table-mounted router set up.

Onsrud Cutter manufactures a series of "O-Flute" bits just for cutting
plexi. They were willing to send me a sample (for CNC use) and might
be willing to do the same for you. These don't come with bearings but
could be used with a base plate bushing...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SimonLW" wrote in message
I have a trimmer bit that has a bearing on the end and the blade that cuts
the same diameter of bearing above this bearing to trim the the "overage"
off the edge.

What I'm looking for is something with the reverse arrangement. I work
with plexi. I want to lay the template on top of the sheet and trace
around it with my router to make copies. The follower bearing and blade
would have to be narrower diameter than a trimmer bit for obvious reasons.

What am I after and who sells these bits?
Thanks!

Thanks! I'll look for these template or pattern bits. Onsrud has a
bewildering array of bearingless type bits for acrylic.
-S