Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ryobi/Crafstman detail biscut joiner comments

After running across the term "R1 biscuit" and googling it and finding
out what they were, I've repeatedly had project in which I said to
myself "gee, one of those detail biscuits would be nice right here".
Well, was down to Sears yesterday and they had one in stock, I bought it
on impulse.

Tried it out today. It does what they say and the biscuits really _are_
tiny, here's a photo with the Porter Cable FF on the end for comparison
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=319761020&size=m.

I find one major flaw in the design of the tool so far--the fence has a
bevel adjacent to the cutter that is wide enough for quarter inch stock to
slip into. This is not a problem when slotting an edge or end but makes
accurate slot placement very diffcult when slotting into the side of a
piece of stock. When time permits it doesn't look like it would be too
hard to make up a new fence that addresses this.

A minor flaw is that the fence position is adjustable in fixed increments
and the increments--given the nature of the tool a micrometer adjustment
would be very convenient, but for 70 bucks maybe I'm expecting too much.

Other than that, well, it's a neat concept. The biscuit are thin, it
really is possible to put them in the edge of a piece of 1/4 inch stock,
which is what I was looking for.

I'm not sure why this tool didn't do better in the market, perhaps it was
a case of the marketers not understanding the niche it fits. Or maybe
with work that size it's just easier to slot it on a router table.

For picture framing it looks like the bees' knees, for small boxes and the
like out of the box it's not so hot.

-- --John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at
eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a Craftsman biscuit joiner and I am not pleased with it.

Sears refused to take it back so I am stuck with it.

After trying and trying, I learned that the adjustment is not precise.

I do not use it anymore for tabletop or frames. I only use it for rough
work.

I am looking around to get something better like Freud or a cut above.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Dec 2006 19:00:09 GMT, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

[...]

I use my Ryobi detail biscuit joiner quite a bit and like it. I have
used it on a number of boxes made with 1/4 to 1/2 thick sides. I have
used it less often on picture frame miters. I have not had a need to
buy the biscuits for a while but have noted that they are no longer in
stock at Home Depot or Lowes nor at Woodcraft. I do believe that Sears
still carries them. BTW I am getting a Porter Cable biscuit joiner for
Christmas (funny how I know that) and actually don't envision ever
changing out the cutter to the FF cutter as the Ryobi detail joiner
should meet all of those needs.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

You might take a look at the Dewalt too. I have owned one for about seven
years and I am very satisfied. I saw a new one in the store a few days ago
and they haven't changed much.

RonB

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

After running across the term "R1 biscuit" and googling it and finding
out what they were, I've repeatedly had project in which I said to
myself "gee, one of those detail biscuits would be nice right here".
Well, was down to Sears yesterday and they had one in stock, I bought
it on impulse.

snip

My neighbor has one, with a standing offer to let me use it for maybe the
last 5 or 6 years. Haven't thought I needed it yet. Maybe someday.

I did, in ignorance, buy a bottle of the PC FF biscuits, shortly after
buying my DeWalt plate jointer. That bottle hasn't done any good yet. ;-)

Glad you're happy with the tool.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

OOPs - Ever get distracted and post a response to the wrong item?

Now I have!

It's Hell to get old.

RonB

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
OOPs - Ever get distracted and post a response to the wrong item?

Now I have!

It's Hell to get old.

Better then the alternative.....

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote in message
OOPs - Ever get distracted and post a response to the wrong item?

Now I have!

It's Hell to get old.

Better then the alternative.....

Well....Yeah, so far.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:07:06 +0000, marierdj wrote:

I have a Craftsman biscuit joiner and I am not pleased with it.

Sears refused to take it back so I am stuck with it.

After trying and trying, I learned that the adjustment is not precise.

I do not use it anymore for tabletop or frames. I only use it for rough
work.

I am looking around to get something better like Freud or a cut above.

The adjustement on the detail biscuit joiner is very precise--it's
stepped in a manner similar to an Incra jig, the problem is that the
steps are larger than I would expect given the intended use of the tool.

Please understand that this is a different tool from a "regular" biscuit
joiner--I can do things with this that I can't do with my
Porter-Cable--its _smallest_ biscuit, as the photo shows, is larger than
the detail joiner's _largest_.

If you're looking for a general purpose biscuit joiner and can't afford a
Lamello, the Porter Cable works fine.