Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Ryobi/Crafstman detail biscut joiner comments

After running across the term "R1 biscuit" and googling it and finding
out what they were, I've repeatedly had project in which I said to
myself "gee, one of those detail biscuits would be nice right here".
Well, was down to Sears yesterday and they had one in stock, I bought it
on impulse.

Tried it out today. It does what they say and the biscuits really _are_
tiny, here's a photo with the Porter Cable FF on the end for comparison
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=319761020&size=m.

I find one major flaw in the design of the tool so far--the fence has a
bevel adjacent to the cutter that is wide enough for quarter inch stock to
slip into. This is not a problem when slotting an edge or end but makes
accurate slot placement very diffcult when slotting into the side of a
piece of stock. When time permits it doesn't look like it would be too
hard to make up a new fence that addresses this.

A minor flaw is that the fence position is adjustable in fixed increments
and the increments--given the nature of the tool a micrometer adjustment
would be very convenient, but for 70 bucks maybe I'm expecting too much.

Other than that, well, it's a neat concept. The biscuit are thin, it
really is possible to put them in the edge of a piece of 1/4 inch stock,
which is what I was looking for.

I'm not sure why this tool didn't do better in the market, perhaps it was
a case of the marketers not understanding the niche it fits. Or maybe
with work that size it's just easier to slot it on a router table.

For picture framing it looks like the bees' knees, for small boxes and the
like out of the box it's not so hot.

-- --John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at
eye bee em dot net)