Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel Rick Samuel is offline

Default Ryobi/Crafstman detail biscut joiner comments

"RonB" wrote in message
OOPs - Ever get distracted and post a response to the wrong item?

Now I have!

It's Hell to get old.

Better then the alternative.....

"RonB" wrote in message
You might take a look at the Dewalt too. I have owned one for about
seven years and I am very satisfied. I saw a new one in the store a few
days ago and they haven't changed much.

RonB

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
After running across the term "R1 biscuit" and googling it and finding
out what they were, I've repeatedly had project in which I said to
myself "gee, one of those detail biscuits would be nice right here".
Well, was down to Sears yesterday and they had one in stock, I bought it
on impulse.

Tried it out today. It does what they say and the biscuits really _are_
tiny, here's a photo with the Porter Cable FF on the end for comparison
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=319761020&size=m.

I find one major flaw in the design of the tool so far--the fence has a
bevel adjacent to the cutter that is wide enough for quarter inch stock
slip into. This is not a problem when slotting an edge or end but makes
accurate slot placement very diffcult when slotting into the side of a
piece of stock. When time permits it doesn't look like it would be too
hard to make up a new fence that addresses this.

A minor flaw is that the fence position is adjustable in fixed
increments
and the increments--given the nature of the tool a micrometer adjustment
would be very convenient, but for 70 bucks maybe I'm expecting too much.

Other than that, well, it's a neat concept. The biscuit are thin, it
really is possible to put them in the edge of a piece of 1/4 inch stock,
which is what I was looking for.

I'm not sure why this tool didn't do better in the market, perhaps it
was
a case of the marketers not understanding the niche it fits. Or maybe
with work that size it's just easier to slot it on a router table.

For picture framing it looks like the bees' knees, for small boxes and
the
like out of the box it's not so hot.

-- --John to email, dial "usenet" and validate (was jclarke at
eye bee em dot net)