Posted to rec.woodworking
db db is offline

Default Help setting up jointer gibs/ways

I recently got an old Delta Model 654 6" jointer in reasonably good shape.
After disassembly and cleaning, I am uncertain about how tight to set the
gibs (ways?).

I am finding I must leave the screw adjusters quite loose for the tables to
slide up and down. As soon as I tighten them at all the table locks up.

Any suggestions?

Db

Posted to rec.woodworking

db wrote:
I recently got an old Delta Model 654 6" jointer in reasonably good shape.
After disassembly and cleaning, I am uncertain about how tight to set the
gibs (ways?).

I am finding I must leave the screw adjusters quite loose for the tables to
slide up and down. As soon as I tighten them at all the table locks up.

Any suggestions?

Db

tight enough that the tables don't wiggle when you grab them with both
hands and wrassle it around a bit, loose enough that they move smoothly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Make sure the gibs and dovetails are free of burrs on the sliding
surfaces, and lightly greased. Tighten the top gib screws first, as
they hold most of the weight of the tables. Tom