No Spam

Default Jointer Knife Setting Jigs - worth it or not?

I'm curious if there is any consensus on the use of the magnetic jointer
knife setting jigs? Are they helpful? Worth $50 for the metal-bodied
one? Or $30 for the plastic one?

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer, BTW.

Thanks!

ps: search Amazon look for Delta Magna-Set or Woodstock Jointer Pal to
see these items
Kenneth

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:22:46 -0500, No Spam
wrote:

I'm curious if there is any consensus on the use of the magnetic jointer
knife setting jigs? Are they helpful? Worth $50 for the metal-bodied
one? Or $30 for the plastic one?

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer, BTW.

Thanks!

ps: search Amazon look for Delta Magna-Set or Woodstock Jointer Pal to
see these items

Howdy,

I use an Hitachi Jointer-Planer that came with a set of
magnetic jigs set in plastic.

They make the knife setting chore trivial. Accurate setting
takes only moments, and there is no feeling that "I wish I
had just a few more hands..."

Beyond that, I don't know what to advise.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Ken Dibble

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:22:46 -0500, No Spam wrote:

I'm curious if there is any consensus on the use of the magnetic jointer
knife setting jigs? Are they helpful? Worth $50 for the metal-bodied
one? Or $30 for the plastic one?

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer, BTW.

Thanks!

ps: search Amazon look for Delta Magna-Set or Woodstock Jointer Pal to
see these items

How about $3 for piece of hardboard, a few rare earth
magnets, and a little glue?
Use a forstner bit to drill a hole a little deeper than the magnets are
thick.

At least, that is what the cheapskate in me does.

Ken
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Ken Dibble wrote:

How about $3 for piece of hardboard, a few rare earth
magnets, and a little glue?
Use a forstner bit to drill a hole a little deeper than the magnets are
thick.

That's what I made and have used for years now.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
bc

I have the jointer pal and really like it. I got it because I got
tired of two hour knife setting sessions. They say with practice it
gets easire, but it didn't for me. The knives would slip as I was
tightening them down. With the Jointer Pal I haven't had any problems.
Knife changes take about ten minutes. I hope that helps. BC

www

"No Spam" wrote in message
I'm curious if there is any consensus on the use of the magnetic jointer
knife setting jigs? Are they helpful? Worth $50 for the metal-bodied
one? Or $30 for the plastic one?

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer, BTW.

Thanks!

ps: search Amazon look for Delta Magna-Set or Woodstock Jointer Pal to
see these items

I have the Jointer-Pal (plastic variant).
Works great for me. I didn't see a need for the more expensive metal bodied.
The plastic does the job, you just have to be a little more careful looking
after it.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Complete our tool survey, Win $200!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System
- Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update)
- "Orbiter" Drill Accessory
- "Vertiacc" Vertical Drill Press Accessory
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:22:46 -0500, No Spam wrote:

I'm curious if there is any consensus on the use of the magnetic jointer
knife setting jigs? Are they helpful? Worth $50 for the metal-bodied
one? Or $30 for the plastic one?

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer, BTW.

Thanks!

ps: search Amazon look for Delta Magna-Set or Woodstock Jointer Pal to
see these items

About 10 years ago, I got one of the composite magna-sets -- turned out
it was completely useless as it was defective (warped or twisted, I forget
which). Took it back and after fussing with the blades went back and got
the metal magna set. After 10 years, the original cost is only a distant
memory and changing blades is a snap.

tom

Ken wrote:How about $3 for piece of hardboard, a few rare earth
magnets, and a little glue?

Ditto. Tom