Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Academic Paper: Noise Transmission Study of A Table Saw

Hello,

I'm a beginner woodworker and took the plunge to buy my first Forrest
WWII table saw blade.

I was doing some research online for pros/cons with regards to buying a
blade stabilizer. I
noticed the various discussions in this newsgroup about noise reduction
and cleaner cut benefits
when stabilizers were used. I ran across the following Sept. 2006
research study from the
Michigan Tech University which shed some light onto this issue, as well
as general issues about
table saw noise, which is beneficial to read. The paper is only 6
pages long.

http://www.me.mtu.edu/courses/meem47..._table_saw.pdf

After reading this paper, I guess there is still some controversy about
noise reduction in using
stabilizers. Here are my thoughts and summary:

- study was done on Craftsman 10-inch open stand contractor table saw
- main contributing noise frequency range is 2.5kHz to 8KHz
- motor and blade components contributed the most noise (quite obvious)
- adding stabilizers did not reduce noise level. In fact, it increased
the noise level, both
under no load and load condition (wood was cut)
- recommended a chasis with open-cell acoustic foam be added as best
method in reducing
noise to the table saw
- conclusion did state that the stabilizer did not reduce noise but
they think that it may improve
the cut quality (not tested). They also recommended further studies
using diferent blade
designs and other blade stabilizers to be more thorough
- in general I'm not too concerned with noise levels since I always
wear hearing protection.
This study was addressed specifically at the construction trade,
where hearing loss is a
common hazzard

I would agree with the last statement since they only tested one blade
and one stabilizer.
What was surprising was that adding in the stabilizers increases the
noise level. Compare
graphs 3 versus 4 and you'll see that even under no load conditions (no
wood cutting), just
adding on the stabilizers increased the noise level. But I'm skeptical
since only one
blade and one type of stabilizer was used.

I have not used stabilizers before therefore was curious if those who
have good blades and
good stabilizers find that adding increased or decreased the noise
level?

For now, I will use my Forrest blade without stabilizers and then one
day I'll add them in to
see if the cut quality improves.

Cheers,

-Win

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I'm a beginner woodworker and took the plunge to buy my first Forrest
WWII table saw blade.

Good!

After reading this paper, I guess there is still some controversy about
noise reduction in using
stabilizers. Here are my thoughts and summary:

No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

(snip) No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

Yes! IMHO those stabilizers simply help prevent thin kerf blades from
flexing under heavier use, so in some situations the cut quality would be
better. Never noticed any difference in noise levels. Just install and
enjoy your WWII. --dave

"Swingman" wrote in message
wrote in message

I'm a beginner woodworker and took the plunge to buy my first Forrest
WWII table saw blade.

Good!

After reading this paper, I guess there is still some controversy about
noise reduction in using
stabilizers. Here are my thoughts and summary:

No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

Win,
Don't take that personally. I also have a curious academic mind, and
enjoyed reading your summary. I would have looked for exactly the same
type of thing if I was researching TS blades etc.
I don't have anything to add to the discussion of stablizers, but on a
related note, I have noticed that my BS noise level increased when I
added a shop-made wood zero-clearance insert. Worth the noise, IMO, as
I also wear hearing protection whenever using tailed tools.
Thanks for your contribution,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
(snip) No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

Yes! IMHO those stabilizers simply help prevent thin kerf blades from
flexing under heavier use, so in some situations the cut quality would be
better. Never noticed any difference in noise levels. Just install and
enjoy your WWII. --dave

With the bulk of the noise generated by the tooth/gullet pattern and strain
reliefs sucking air, I wouldn't expect the stabilizer, which was designed to
stabilize, to do much for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I didn't take offense at all and completely agree that I need more time
doing woodworking
than Internet researching. It is too easy to get caught up in all the
technical nit-picky
details.

Thank you for everyone's input and advice.

Cheers,

-Win

George wrote:
"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
(snip) No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

Yes! IMHO those stabilizers simply help prevent thin kerf blades from
flexing under heavier use, so in some situations the cut quality would be
better. Never noticed any difference in noise levels. Just install and
enjoy your WWII. --dave

With the bulk of the noise generated by the tooth/gullet pattern and strain
reliefs sucking air, I wouldn't expect the stabilizer, which was designed to
stabilize, to do much for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

No offense, but your time would be much better doing some actual
woodworking.

Woodworking. From the words "wood" and "working". Anything else you do
that doesn't involve both of these isn't woodworking. That includes
tool collecting, reading Krenov, reading Usenet, tidying the workshop.

We all do it, but at the end of the day, it's only actually getting out
there and re-arranging wood that counts.