Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to obtain paper/card for table lamps?

Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for
years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if
only he can find suitable material.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm

Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

Try Fred Aldous. The web site
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/trolleyed/index.htm has a lamp shade making
section which lists the materials but is not very helpful on what they are.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:39:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for
years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if
only he can find suitable material.

Mary

Would it not be simpler just to go buy suitable lampshades to replace them .?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:39:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for
years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if
only he can find suitable material.

Mary

Would it not be simpler just to go buy suitable lampshades to replace them
.?

This is not the consumer ng, it's d.i.y.

Mary

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

Try Fred Aldous. The web site
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/trolleyed/index.htm has a lamp shade making
section which lists the materials but is not very helpful on what they
are.

Malcolm

I'll have a look, thanks for the start.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:37:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:39:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!

Cheers,

I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for
years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if
only he can find suitable material.

Mary

Would it not be simpler just to go buy suitable lampshades to replace them
.?

This is not the consumer ng, it's d.i.y.

Mary

So you saying I'm not allowed to offer an easier alternative then .....you'd fit
them yourself wouldn't you .??

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the house
down!
I'd like to know that too. Two of our lampshades have been crumbling for
years, I want to throw them out but he won't, says he can repair them if
only he can find suitable material.
Would it not be simpler just to go buy suitable lampshades to replace
them
This is not the consumer ng, it's d.i.y.

So you saying I'm not allowed to offer an easier alternative then
.....you'd fit
them yourself wouldn't you .??

LOL! You're allowed to do anything you like :-)

Human skin

ask them to save you some when you go in for that tummy tuck

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy McKenzie

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
wrote:
Can someone tell me where I might get some of the paper/card used for
shielding the bulbs in table lamps? What's the type of card actually
called??

I want to make some lamps but want to ensure they don't burn the
house down!

Cheers,

Try a Artist/hobby shop preferably the larger stores.

To be honest I don't think its a special card? the light wattage has to be
low when using card,so as to keep the heat at minimium.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

This brings up a vague memory of reading about fireproofing paper in a 1930s
DIY book. A quick Google suggests that Sodium Silicate 'Waterglass' is the
stuff you want - no idea where you get it from!

water glass or soluble glass, colorless, transparent, glasslike substance
available commercially as a powder or as a transparent, viscous solution in
water. Chemically it is sodium silicate , potassium silicate, or a mixture
of these. It is prepared by fusing sodium or potassium carbonate with sand
or by heating sodium or potassium hydroxide with sand under pressure. Water
glass is very soluble in water, but the glassy solid dissolves slowly, even
in boiling water. Water glass has adhesive properties and is fire resistant.
It is used as a detergent; as a cement for glass, pottery, and stoneware;
for fireproofing paper, wood, cement, and other substances; for fixing
pigments in paintings and cloth printing; and for preserving eggs (it fills
the pores in the eggshell, preventing entrance of air).

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Malcolm" wrote in message

Try Fred Aldous. The web site
http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/trolleyed/index.htm has a lamp shade making
section which lists the materials but is not very helpful on what they
are.

Malcolm

I got their catalogue this morning, thanks again.

Mary