Mark

Default Green Long Life lamps and fluorescents

dave wrote:
Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
they be properly disposed of?
Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
them?

Fluorescent lamps contain mercury - as such they are classed as
'Hazardous waste' under European regulations.

You are best off asking your local council for the options available in
your area. In most cases, these lamps should be accepted at the local
tip - although they will probably have to go in a special skip.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
dave writes:
Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
they be properly disposed of?

If you mean compact fluorescents, then yes.

Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
them?

Yes.

If you are a business unit chucking out sizable quantities,
there are various hazardous waste schemes. For a home, the
quantites of mercury are too small for anyone to worry about
it yet. There's more mercury in the fillings in your teeth
(3g on average goes up the crematorium chimney per person)
than the amount you will chuck out in fluorescent lamps.

--
Andrew Gabriel

chris French

In message , Mark
writes
dave wrote:
Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
they be properly disposed of?
Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
them?

Fluorescent lamps contain mercury - as such they are classed as
'Hazardous waste' under European regulations.

You are best off asking your local council for the options available in
your area. In most cases, these lamps should be accepted at the local
tip - although they will probably have to go in a special skip.

I never seen a special skip for these. Or seen special instructions
anywhere.
--
Chris French

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:58:46 +0000 (UTC), Mark wrote:

Fluorescent lamps contain mercury - as such they are classed as
'Hazardous waste' under European regulations.

Almost anything is classed as "Hazardous Waste" these days.

You are best off asking your local council for the options available
in your area.

If you can find the right person, in the right department, who knows
what the sub-sub-contractors actualy do.

In most cases, these lamps should be accepted at the local
tip...

If you have a local "amenity center". Our nearest is 30+ miles away,
then the council restrict what they will take (they used to take
*anything* on the normal round), then they charge for the bulky items
service. Though if you are in the big city and only a few miles from
the tip the bulky items service is free. Grrrr....

- although they will probably have to go in a special skip.

Went to the "amenity center" near Birmingham Airport the other week
with loads of ancient garden chemicals, after a shed/garage clear out,
expecting to find a special place for them. Nope, spoke to the
operatives, oh put them over there by the "old paint" skip and we'll
deal with 'em. I wonder what did happen to them? Probably ended up in
the "general waste" skip...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:33:17 GMT, dave wrote:

| On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:25:47 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| On 03 Oct 2005 00:15:41 GMT, (Andrew Gabriel)
| wrote:
|
| | In article ,
| | dave writes:
| | Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
| | they be properly disposed of?
| |
| | If you mean compact fluorescents, then yes.
| |
| | Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
| | them?
| |
| | Yes.
| |
| | If you are a business unit chucking out sizable quantities,
| | there are various hazardous waste schemes. For a home, the
| | quantites of mercury are too small for anyone to worry about
| | it yet. There's more mercury in the fillings in your teeth
| | (3g on average goes up the crematorium chimney per person)
| | than the amount you will chuck out in fluorescent lamps.
|
| And *considerably* less than the mercury clinical thermometer in my First
| Aid cupboard. This Health and Safety obsession is IMO going mad :-(
|
| And considerably less than that in a Hg switch I have. But that's kind of
| irrelevant isn't it. Can't see what mad about trying to avoid a poison risk. Ok
| it's not exactly plutonium I know. "Mad" and "Hg" in the same sentence is very
| appropriate

So all according to you all risks are to be avoided at *any* cost. So you
do not travel on the roads to avoid the risk of being one of the ten people
who die in traffic accidents each day in the UK.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

dave wrote:
No, I'm not a business - just wondered about the domestic side of it. My
personal guess is that even though the amounts are small, the increasing use of
LL (didn't know they were called compact fluorescents) may make this a green
issue.

They are compact fluorescents, but they are not the only compact
fluorescents.
"Retrofit compact fluorescents" is a more correct term which is
sometimes used,
implying they are designed for retrofitting in place of older lamps.

There's no definition of exactly what "compact fluorescent" means, but
it is
generally applied to all modern tubular fluorescents that use a mercury
amalgam
pelet for accurate control of the mercury vapour pressure. This
encompasses
most fluorescent tube types which have appeared in the last 30 years.
The most
obvious effect of this is the run-up time such lamps require to reach
full
brightness. A less obvious effect is that they contain very much less
mercury
than the older tubes, such as the T12 (1.5" diameter) ones. Another
common
property of compact fluorescents are thinner tubes, which means less
phosphor
required so more expensive phosphors can be used.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:33:17 GMT, dave wrote:
| On 03 Oct 2005 00:15:41 GMT, (Andrew Gabriel)
| wrote:

| | Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
| | they be properly disposed of?
| |
| | If you mean compact fluorescents, then yes.
| |
| | Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
| | them?
| |
| | Yes.
| |
| | If you are a business unit chucking out sizable quantities,
| | there are various hazardous waste schemes. For a home, the
| | quantites of mercury are too small for anyone to worry about
| | it yet. There's more mercury in the fillings in your teeth
| | (3g on average goes up the crematorium chimney per person)
| | than the amount you will chuck out in fluorescent lamps.
|
| And *considerably* less than the mercury clinical thermometer in my First
| Aid cupboard. This Health and Safety obsession is IMO going mad :-(
|
| And considerably less than that in a Hg switch I have. But that's kind of
| irrelevant isn't it. Can't see what mad about trying to avoid a poison risk. Ok
| it's not exactly plutonium I know. "Mad" and "Hg" in the same sentence is very
| appropriate

So all according to you all risks are to be avoided at *any* cost. So you
do not travel on the roads to avoid the risk of being one of the ten people
who die in traffic accidents each day in the UK.

Maybe I understand it... lets see what you think.

When people are facing a big threat they dont think they have any
control over, they yearn for control over danger, and act this out on
any adnger they can control. At the same time they do _not_ want to
think about the real big danger, and denial rules in that area.

How this applies here is this: Our big danger is that 50% of us will
die from haert disease or cancer. Thats a huge risk, one that shows all
the part p malarkey for what it is.

Around 50% of this mass death is easily preventable, but nanny isnt
preventing it, and the general population isnt doing anything to save
their collective asses either. Theyre walking right into mass death
because theyre in denial. Theyre controlling the trivia because of the
urge to control the present danger, plus the fact that they really dont
want to think about it, and that not looking leads to acting on trivia
while ignoring the real issue, lik rearranging the deck chairs on the
titanic.

And because people refuse to face it, they dont notce that 50% of that
50% death rate is really not hard to prevent.

Imagine if all these daft laws about not being able to sell veg in
pounds and ounces, part p and so on were replaced by an equally funded
effort to do soething about our real killer. The difference in death
rate would be enormous. The saving in misery would be gargantuan.

But people dont want to look at this because it scares them, they see
no solution, so lets pretend its a non issue and worry solely about
silly trivia.

When it comes to safety this society is completely missing the boat.

NT

Dave Fawthrop

On 3 Oct 2005 07:41:57 -0700, wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:33:17 GMT, dave wrote:
| | On 03 Oct 2005 00:15:41 GMT,
(Andrew Gabriel)
| | wrote:
|
| | | Do LL lamps (as sold in many diy stores) contain Hg vapour? If so, how should
| | | they be properly disposed of?
| | |
| | | If you mean compact fluorescents, then yes.
| | |
| | | Same question of fluorescent lamps - or is there some other element/risk with
| | | them?
| | |
| | | Yes.
| | |
| | | If you are a business unit chucking out sizable quantities,
| | | there are various hazardous waste schemes. For a home, the
| | | quantites of mercury are too small for anyone to worry about
| | | it yet. There's more mercury in the fillings in your teeth
| | | (3g on average goes up the crematorium chimney per person)
| | | than the amount you will chuck out in fluorescent lamps.
| |
| | And *considerably* less than the mercury clinical thermometer in my First
| | Aid cupboard. This Health and Safety obsession is IMO going mad :-(
| |
| | And considerably less than that in a Hg switch I have. But that's kind of
| | irrelevant isn't it. Can't see what mad about trying to avoid a poison risk. Ok
| | it's not exactly plutonium I know. "Mad" and "Hg" in the same sentence is very
| | appropriate
|
| So all according to you all risks are to be avoided at *any* cost. So you
| do not travel on the roads to avoid the risk of being one of the ten people
| who die in traffic accidents each day in the UK.
|

| Maybe I understand it... lets see what you think.
|
| When people are facing a big threat they dont think they have any
| control over, they yearn for control over danger, and act this out on
| any adnger they can control. At the same time they do _not_ want to
| think about the real big danger, and denial rules in that area.
|
| How this applies here is this: Our big danger is that 50% of us will
| die from haert disease or cancer. Thats a huge risk, one that shows all
| the part p malarkey for what it is.
|
| Around 50% of this mass death is easily preventable, but nanny isnt
| preventing it, and the general population isnt doing anything to save
| their collective asses either. Theyre walking right into mass death
| because theyre in denial. Theyre controlling the trivia because of the
| urge to control the present danger, plus the fact that they really dont
| want to think about it, and that not looking leads to acting on trivia
| while ignoring the real issue, lik rearranging the deck chairs on the
| titanic.
|
| And because people refuse to face it, they dont notce that 50% of that
| 50% death rate is really not hard to prevent.
|
| Imagine if all these daft laws about not being able to sell veg in
| pounds and ounces, part p and so on were replaced by an equally funded
| effort to do soething about our real killer. The difference in death
| rate would be enormous. The saving in misery would be gargantuan.
|
| But people dont want to look at this because it scares them, they see
| no solution, so lets pretend its a non issue and worry solely about
| silly trivia.

Nicely put :-)

| When it comes to safety this society is completely missing the boat.

Insane would be a better description. :-(