Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:58:46 +0000 (UTC), Mark wrote:

Fluorescent lamps contain mercury - as such they are classed as
'Hazardous waste' under European regulations.

Almost anything is classed as "Hazardous Waste" these days.

You are best off asking your local council for the options available
in your area.

If you can find the right person, in the right department, who knows
what the sub-sub-contractors actualy do.

In most cases, these lamps should be accepted at the local
tip...

If you have a local "amenity center". Our nearest is 30+ miles away,
then the council restrict what they will take (they used to take
*anything* on the normal round), then they charge for the bulky items
service. Though if you are in the big city and only a few miles from
the tip the bulky items service is free. Grrrr....

- although they will probably have to go in a special skip.

Went to the "amenity center" near Birmingham Airport the other week
with loads of ancient garden chemicals, after a shed/garage clear out,
expecting to find a special place for them. Nope, spoke to the
operatives, oh put them over there by the "old paint" skip and we'll
deal with 'em. I wonder what did happen to them? Probably ended up in
the "general waste" skip...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail