Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How dangerous are lathes?

Well obviously that statement is a bit ambitious. All you have to do is
loop a piece of sandpaper around an object you've just turned and hold the
sandpaper with the index and thumb of one hand. Often your hand will be
pulled into the wood piece and pinch your fingers pretty badly. I have
finally learned not to loop the sand paper around but instead hold it across
the wood with both hands, one in front, one in back, then the paper doesn't
pinch shut and drag you into it! That is only one of several occurrences
that can yield pain. While the lathe is a relatively safe tool say compared
to a table saw, to say "No one ever gets hurt on a lathe" might not be a
real good statement! But it makes for good small talk !

Don Dando

"George" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable,

since
no
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

Is he nuts?

Probably just experienced. What he doesn't realize that others may not
follow what he's teaching and the safety that's automatic to him. That

can
mean trouble.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since
no one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

I read somewhere that most woodworking power tools can maim you. The lathe,
however, can kill you.

Seems a reasonable statement if an unbalanced chunk of something starts
heading toward your noggin.

When you hit that power switch, *don't* be standing in the line of fire.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I don't mean to suggest that lathes are vicious, murderous tools, lurking

in
the corner of the shop waiting to leap upon some unsuspecting rookie

turner
and strangle him, but, like *any* power tool, they do have the potential

cause serious injury.

Is this where we start talking about the new LatheStop on the market and the
200 pounds of shielding around the piece of wood being turned to prevent it
from flying off the spindle and impaling someone in the forehead? Of course,
maybe it might be more prudent to invest in the BodyStop personal armour.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Upscale" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I don't mean to suggest that lathes are vicious, murderous tools, lurking

in
the corner of the shop waiting to leap upon some unsuspecting rookie

turner
and strangle him, but, like *any* power tool, they do have the potential

cause serious injury.

Is this where we start talking about the new LatheStop on the market and the
200 pounds of shielding around the piece of wood being turned to prevent it
from flying off the spindle and impaling someone in the forehead? Of course,
maybe it might be more prudent to invest in the BodyStop personal armour.

I think the IdiotStop that somebody suggested in the SawStop thread might be
more appropriate here... starting with Toller's instructor. "Nobody ever got
hurt on a lathe". Sheesh. What an ignoramus.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since
no one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

Also, the absence of accidents does not indicate the presence of safety.

Your instructor needs to have someone tatoo that to his forehead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since no
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

I had to get six stitches in my lower lip after a piece broke off at
lathe, bounced off the ways and hit me under the face shield.

When I was in grade school a friend of mine was killed by a piece of
stock that broke off a face plate and impaled him in the forehead.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

I had to get six stitches in my lower lip after a piece broke off at
lathe, bounced off the ways and hit me under the face shield.

When I was in grade school a friend of mine was killed by a piece of
stock that broke off a face plate and impaled him in the forehead.

Let's take a hunk of material, spin it at great speed, and poke a metal
stabber at it.
What could possibly go wrong?

I think Nova posted the answer.

I am willing to go out on a limb and venture a guess that stupid people
are more likely to get hurt than those who use their brains.
I could be wrong.
Lathes are dangerous. Period. (Commercial ones are usually behind metal
cages.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've never seen a paper mask that didn't have gaps at the edge that are
plainly visible.

You need to look at the N95 paper masks. We use them to work around TB
patients. They don't gap around the edges at all.... rather they are
shaped and they have a flexible nose bridge that you squeeze to form a
fit.

If they won't let TB in, I doubt they'll let dust in either.

Not to mention, they're really cheap when the staff's not looking!

People seem to get hung up on the sieve theory of filtration, which isn't
really what's happening here. If the dust hits a fiber, there's enough
fuzz and too little vacuum to have it go further. That's why you see a
faint trace of dust around where your smile gaps open the mask. Also why
silt precipitates in slow water.

Not to mention that dust particles have to enter into your nasopharyngeal
cavity, which is equipped with hair to cause turbulence, mucous to trap
anything, and cilia to take out the trash.

It's fumes, not cellulose you should be concerned with. Or in the case of
wood, the poisonous extractives the tree uses to fight off critters,
fungi, and bacteria that want to eat it. Dust carries or contains them.

Of course, these problems are not unique to lathes, and are actually much
less of a problem than with many other tools in the shop.

Basically, you are correct, fumes and "critters" are the bigger problem,
compared to "simple" dust, however, as someone suffering from
COPD/emphysema, I'll take every bit of protection from dust that I can.
While the nose is pretty good at filtering out the crap, it's not perfect
and if I'd been more careful in my younger days with using dust masks, I
might not have the COPD now...or at least, might not have it as bad or as
soon as I did.

Use a dust mask...it's not THAT hard to do, is it?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:40:13 +0000, Don Dando wrote:

Well obviously that statement is a bit ambitious. All you have to do is
loop a piece of sandpaper around an object you've just turned and hold the
sandpaper with the index and thumb of one hand. Often your hand will be
pulled into the wood piece and pinch your fingers pretty badly. I have
finally learned not to loop the sand paper around but instead hold it across
the wood with both hands, one in front, one in back, then the paper doesn't
pinch shut and drag you into it! That is only one of several occurrences
that can yield pain. While the lathe is a relatively safe tool say compared
to a table saw, to say "No one ever gets hurt on a lathe" might not be a
real good statement! But it makes for good small talk !

FWIW, I managed to draw blood with a router today. Not the way you
expect--I wasn't watching where my fingers were when I released the lock
on the plunge base and it pinched me between the base and the stop. Then
for good measure I banged my head on the lumber rack and got a cut there
too. On the other hand getting a 280 pound bandsaw down a 7 foot vertical
drop didn't do me any damage at all (I haven't opened the box yet so won't
say for sure that the _saw_ survived).

Don Dando

"George" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable,

since
no
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

Is he nuts?

Probably just experienced. What he doesn't realize that others may
not follow what he's teaching and the safety that's automatic to him.
That

can
mean trouble.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

I, like most of the other posters, find it amazing that an instructor would
make such a stupid remark. He should be fired.

The dust mask is a good idea. Face protection is essential because lathes
do have a habit of throwing things. A good hard catch could even throw the
handle or blade end of a tool up toward your head. The flexible, full face
shields are pretty good. I have only had one mishap when a pretty large
piece of stock came out of my machine while turning between centers. It
happened so quickly I never actually saw it happen. I felt a pretty good
blow on the top of the shield at about forehead height. I looked down and
the workstock was cradled between my arm and side. The chunk weighed well
over a pound so the face shield did its work.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message ...
I, like most of the other posters, find it amazing that an instructor
would make such a stupid remark. He should be fired.

Well, he cautioned us against hair and loose clothing, but not a word about
safety glasses or dust masks.

The other woodworking class I took wouldn't let you use machinery without
safety glasses with side shields, though they were very casual about dust
also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" In HS metal shop I was standing right next to a
kid wearing a long sleeve sweater working on a lathe. Sweater got
caught on the work and ripped completely off his body before he or I
could hit the red button.

Reminds me of a vo-tech metal shop incident. We were turning 12" long
aluminum bar to various diamenters and then threading each diameter. I
heard "whack - crash" followed by "OH ****!" from behind me. An instant
later my position and others were showered with crumbled concrete. The bar
in the lathe behind me left the machine, went straight up and struck a
concrete beam in the ceiling of the old shop building. The bar pulverized
a chunk of concrete about 2" deep and a foot in diameter; then left the
building though a closed window. Ran the tool in a little to fast.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"RonB" wrote in message ...
I, like most of the other posters, find it amazing that an instructor
would make such a stupid remark. He should be fired.

Well, he cautioned us against hair and loose clothing, but not a word about
safety glasses or dust masks.

Well, dust isn't much of an issue at the lathe except while sanding (when it's
a *major* issue)... but eye protection is mandatory. Safety glasses are a bare
minimum; turners with good sense use full face shields.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

How long has this guy been an instructor? He's never seen a tool catch
or a turning come out of a chuck or break? Perhaps true that lathes
are less dangerous than many other power tools, but people DO get
hurt. and DAMHIKT.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote:

I have only had one mishap when a pretty large
piece of stock came out of my machine while turning between centers.
It happened so quickly I never actually saw it happen. I felt a
pretty good blow on the top of the shield at about forehead height. I
looked down and the workstock was cradled between my arm and side.
The chunk weighed well over a pound so the face shield did its work.

Had the same thing with a bowl. Left a dent in the face shield and dazed me
enough that I spent the rest of the day turning channels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Well, dust isn't much of an issue at the lathe except while sanding (when it's
a *major* issue)... but eye protection is mandatory. Safety glasses are a bare
minimum; turners with good sense use full face shields.

--
Regards,

It's always a problem for me. I seem to turn the woods that have thick
bark raided from different places as well different glued exotics I
cobble together.

The bark of mesquite comes off in clouds when you hit a punky area.
Molds? Spores? Fungus? I am sure they are all present along with the
requisite amount of fine dirt that a mesquite will collect in that
rough bark in the windy, dusty areas it grows best.

I personally am scared of the exotics and take great care aound them.
I have had some bad skin rashes caused by exotics, so I can only
imagine what that might do to my throat, lungs and sinus cavities.

And come on Doug.... you mean you don't get those fine wisps that hang
in the air from a properly sharpened scraper or a bowl gouge turned
with the flutes parallel to the cut surface?

Just kiddin'.

Actually.... I only did the bowl gouge thing once while I was being
supervised by a guest turner that uses his bowl gouge for everything.
I can do it with a scraper with a fresh edge anytime. Those wisps are
close enough to dust for me. I have tried the "Dust BeeGone" mask and
liked it, but I really like the good seal of those masks and a change
to a fresh, clean mask (not full of sweat and grime) after turning for
a couple of hours. Also, I didn't like washing it out after I used
it.

I use the booger/mucous test on those dental masks, and they do quite
well. The test of course is in the hot shower after the debris is
cleaned up. Without going into details, they passed with flying
colors.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

The OP said "the instructor is very casual about safety" -- that doesn't
sound
like safety is "automatic" to him; quite the opposite, I'd say, and that
*does* mean trouble.

Possible that the new guy doesn't know enough to recognize what's being
practiced.

You, for instance know nothing about it, but are willing to condemn rather
than entertain for a moment the chance that your opinion might be in error.

Oh well, it's merely speculation anyway, but there are no old, bold pilots,
as they say.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since
no one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

I read somewhere that most woodworking power tools can maim you. The
lathe, however, can kill you.

Seems a reasonable statement if an unbalanced chunk of something starts
heading toward your noggin.

When you hit that power switch, *don't* be standing in the line of fire.

Of course, that starts with "don't be casual about the mount," which many
are, in my opinion. Spur centers in face grain, what do they expect? Some
won't even taper back the ends of the log section before they mount it,
assuring the lathe will be doing the dance of death if they have the speed
too high.

It was a "D" for the day if I caught a kid starting the lathe while in the
throw zone. An "E" if I caught them starting it with someone else in the
throw zone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "George" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

The OP said "the instructor is very casual about safety" -- that doesn't
sound
like safety is "automatic" to him; quite the opposite, I'd say, and that
*does* mean trouble.

Possible that the new guy doesn't know enough to recognize what's being
practiced.

The OP in this case may be new to turning, but he's definitely not new to
woodworking.

You, for instance know nothing about it, but are willing to condemn rather
than entertain for a moment the chance that your opinion might be in error.

While I wasn't there, and don't have first-hand knowledge, it's certainly not
true that I "know nothing about it" -- I read the OP's post, and know what he
reported. If his report is accurate, and we have no reason to suppose
otherwise, then the instructor is an ass, and a dangerous one at that.

You, OTOH, know no more about it than I do (and quite possibly less, since
your comments leave considerable doubt as to whether you actually read the
original post), yet you are willing to condemn the OP's statements, and assume
that he is unable to recognize safe practices when he sees them -- rather than
entertain for a moment the chance that your opinion might be in error.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote in message
I, like most of the other posters, find it amazing that an instructor
would make such a stupid remark. He should be fired.

Well, he cautioned us against hair and loose clothing, but not a word
about safety glasses or dust masks.

The other woodworking class I took wouldn't let you use machinery without
safety glasses with side shields, though they were very casual about dust
also.

Thank you. If all you fault him on is his briefing, he can't have been too
bad.

Some things are so obvious they go without saying. Eye protection being one
of them. Lathe is far less likely to cause problems in that regard than
things that whirl the tool not the workpiece. The real idiot is not the one
who failed to mention, but the one who fails to use. Same with dust. If it
irritates you, protect yourself. If you think it might irritate you
someday, protect yourself. Sort of like wiping, as the DI used to say. He
shouldn't have to tell you that. Perhaps a "D" for personal safety for not
wearing wasn't too harsh after all. Betting there were posted warnings on
the wall.

The lathe is certainly far down the list of life/limb risking machines.
I've not seen a lathe accident which required my services in twenty-five
years, though the saws and shapers have made some horrible messes. To me
the hot dog hot stop makes perfect sense.

Watch your instructor and see if maybe he's teaching you to stand out of the
way without mentioning it, cut the wood versus stab it, and not use
excessive speed at any time. He may be better than you think. Perhaps what
he meant to say is "no reason for a thinking man to get hurt at the lathe"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

SNIP

Perhaps what he meant to say is "no reason for a thinking man to get hurt at the lathe"?

Aww... here we go. It took a while for it to get here, but finally the
inner SawStop has come out from someone.

If you are intelligent enough to think about what you are doing, you
won't get hurt. So what does that mean in your world? The flip side
of your hypothesis is the people that should expect to get hurt are the
ones that won't think, can't think, aren't able to think, or don't know
how to think? Only non-thinkers get hurt at the lathe?

So accidents don't happen, much less bad accidents don't happen to
those that think. All you have to do is "thinking man" and you have
"no reason" to worry about being hurt while using the lathe.

Yeah, right.

From Webster's:

Main Entry: ac·ci·dent
Pronunciation: 'ak-s&-d&nt, -"dent; 'aks-d&nt
Function: noun

1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b : lack of
intention or necessity : CHANCE met by accident rather than by design

So... can you think your way throught the unforseen? Obviously you
don't believe accidents exist, perhaps only in a word.

What a load.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Mmmmmm....here's my take on that.
Somebody who doesn't use his head and makes a stupid move is more
likely to get hurt than somebody who does use his head and makes
smarter/safer/more thought-out moves.
One is more vulnerable than the other.
One is more likely to get hurt.
Neither will have immunity from a random series of events which lead to
an unforseen event resulting in an accident.
But if I had to place a bet? My money would be on the brighter of the
two.
Smart people can make mistakes too......or so I'm told.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. I think it is a sure bet
that careless distraction is certainly a recipe for accidents. And I
think it stands to reason that a prepared person that is focused on the
task at hand, employing available safety protection is less likely to
SUFFER from the results of an accident. However, no amount of thinking
or planning will prevent or preclude all accidents. By definition that
is why the term exists.

In my experience, it is not carelessness or distraction that causes
accidents. I have found that most DIY and "semi pro" (whatever in the
hell that is) suffer at the hands of their own arrogance and over
confidence. And I couldn't have found a better example if I had
interviewed a hundred people: "no reason for a thinking man to get
hurt at the lathe".

My point was simply that sometimes you do all you can to be a safe as
possible, and there are still events that transpire that you cannot
anticipate. Safety gear and focus are the best ways to keep from
having accidents, and to mitigate the results when you have them.

I have never met anyone (maybe I need to get out more) than can
outsmart an (not even a smart "thinking man") accident by simply
thinking about things.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Neither will have immunity from a random series of events which lead to
an unforseen event resulting in an accident.

Seems like my random series of events just about always involves a bowl
with a hidden weakness. After that, things are moving so quickly I suspect
physics may have taken over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Yabbut, yabbut...(at the risk of belabouring the point).. doesn't a
thinking man
have an advantage when assessing risk?
Even though I have done a certain routine a bunch of times, I tend to
stop and think and ask myself the following question: "IF this is going
to fark me over, how would it happen?"

Seeming clear to me, I must be obtuse in my explanation. I think we
are saying the same thing, but maybe not.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. I think it is a sure bet
that careless distraction is certainly a recipe for accidents. And I
think it stands to reason that a prepared person that is focused on the
task at hand, employing available safety protection is less likely to
SUFFER from the results of an accident. However, no amount of thinking
or planning will prevent or preclude all accidents. By definition that
is why the term exists.

An accident is an uplanned event. When I said " I think it is a sure
bet
that careless distraction is certainly a recipe for accidents", I meant
that someone that is not paying attention to what they are doing is
more likely to have an accident.

But in my mind, someone that isn't paying attention to what they are
doing (especially when using any kind of tool) is careless. An injury
due to wandering, unfocused mind (distracted?) is an injury due to
carelessness. Maybe from negligent stupidity, maybe just from not
paying attention to what you are doing. If injury happens in those
circumstances, it is not an accident at all, but careless stupidity.
It is injury due to dumbass, of which I have suffered my share.

My point was simply that sometimes you do all you can to be a safe as possible, and there are still events that transpire that you cannot anticipate. Safety gear and focus are the best ways to keep from having accidents, and to mitigate the results when you have them.

I was agreeing with you, again by saying "sometimes you do all you
can". An idiot doesn't care. A lazy ass won't try or care. Someone
that doesn't think won't wear any safety protection. Only someone
that thinks about the consequences that occur if there is a moment in
the Bahamas while using a tool, or someone that has had an actual
accident will wear protection.

Pertaining to the lathe, we have had numerous injuries reported while
using them, mostly due to improper tool use/bad technique, the wrong
tool for the job, or carelessness. That probably takes in 95% of all
the injuries. These are injuries (not intentional) due to dumbass.

However, we have also had 3 or 4 broken scrapers (Crown, I think) that
shot broken steel out, but only nicked one of the guys. I was turning
a very carefully inspected golf ball sized piece of wood at about 4000
between centers, and the piece loosed a quarter sized piece of wood
(NOT on the end I was working on) that whacked me in the forehead just
above the googles. I had a pretty nasty dent in my head and it bled
like hell. I thought as expressed here that all runaway chunks or
chips had to go away from the turner when using the lathe.... I had
heard that was rule. We even had a really experienced turner in my
group that had a bowl gouge break and had one large piece fly off and
bounce around unitl it just whacked him in the chest (it was Sorby -
cheerfully replaced by Woodcraft). Bowls that break into pieces from
UNSEEN defects, chunks of unseen knots or occlisions can take flight.

If you are 100% focused on what you are doing, if you check and cannot
see potential problems with the task you are going to perform, if you
use the right tool for the right job, if you use the right material for
the job, if you use the right techniques and methods for the task at
hand AND you still are injured without being negligent to due diligence
of your own safety, that is an accident.

Now, was that clear as mud and twice as thick? ;^)

It's just my opinion anyway. In our society today, it is never really
our fault. We are all victims of something. I see people do the most
assinine things and scream about how they had an accident. Because
they didn't anticipate they would pay the price for carelessness, in
their minds, that makes it an accident. Injury by dumbass, says I.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

IOW you may want leather around your mid-section too

"bent" wrote in message
I don't know what is done in shops or at homes alone, but I have been hit
bit a flying cutting tool that sliced through my arm, and flew across the
room. I was cutting with the ~16" gouge facing away from me at the time.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you are 100% focused on what you are doing, if you check and cannot
see potential problems with the task you are going to perform, if you
use the right tool for the right job, if you use the right material for
the job, if you use the right techniques and methods for the task at
hand AND you still are injured without being negligent to due diligence
of your own safety, that is an accident.

We are on the same page. (CRINGE, I hate that over-used phrase..)
Dumbasses and lazy farks take chances.
If I rip down some cobwebs from the dusty caverns of my memory banks, I
seem to remember
that on the Space Shuttle there are 900+ 'criticality #1' items that on
launch if ONE of them fails.....Kaboom! The other Kabooms that happen,
is when people become careless and arrogant and go beyond what is
considered safe--- taking a chance. Nobody has control of
100.00000000% of all parameters.. and that includes a small tectonic
plate shuffle which will make your gouge go a LITTLE BITTY bit too far
into the bowl. Them's accidents.

Now, was that clear as mud and twice as thick? ;^)

'Twas, actually. Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail.

Because
they didn't anticipate they would pay the price for carelessness, in
their minds, that makes it an accident. Injury by dumbass, says I.

Yup. Indeed. When you have seen somebody about to do something
dangerous and stupid...did you ever fill your lungs with extra air, so
that you could express a warning "EXTRA loud", just to realize, that a
yell would only startle the stupid fark and make things worse?

I call them 'headshakers'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

We are on the same page. (CRINGE, I hate that over-used phrase..)

So, think out of the box! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

We are on the same page. (CRINGE, I hate that over-used phrase..)

After that Mark Foley thing I don't use this cliche anymore... ;-)

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 3:49 pm, "Mark Jerde" wrote:
We are on the same page. (CRINGE, I hate that over-used phrase..)After that Mark Foley thing I don't use this cliche anymore... ;-)

Why don't congressmen no longer use bookmarks?
They just bend over a page.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
newsz0ch.25$oC.9@trnddc04...
We are on the same page. (CRINGE, I hate that over-used phrase..)

After that Mark Foley thing I don't use this cliche anymore... ;-)

And yet it was the externals of the intern that caught Billie Jeff ....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 04:46:08 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have just finished a bowl turning course; my first lathe work. The
instructor is very casual about safety; he says that is reasonable, since no
one ever get hurt on a lathe. I wonder how true that is.

Not true at all. There's a hunk of wood spinning around, and you're
jabbing a sharp piece of metal into it. Provided you're careful, it's
safe enough, but it's just as dangerous as any other tool, and more
dangerous than some.

I read through the website on woodworking injuries, and there aren't many
lathe injuries reported. The main problem seems to be the work breaking
apart at high speeds. Does that happen much?

Depends on what you're doing- I've had it happen a few times when
cutting wet wood very thin. It dries on the lathe, and if it cracks,
it will explode off at fairly high velocity. More *dangerous* to my
mind are spinning chuck jaws that can quickly tear all the skin off a
knuckle or remove a fingernail if you get too close, and getting
something loose wound around the spindle. Easy to bust up a finger or
two if you're sanding the inside of a hollow form like a vase with
sandpaper held in your hand.

A number of people recommended full face shields. I have one, but it is
pretty thin flexible plastic; I don't expect it would help much against a
high speed chunk of wood. I looked up a few websites (amazon, hartsville,
woodcraft) and they just sell ones like mine, except mine has a metal frame.
Is there something better, or is it strong enough?

It's strong enough- unless you're doing something really crazy, like
turning wood with live ammunition in it. Think about it for a minute-
the rotational force of the piece isn't the only thing that affects
how it's going to fly off if something breaks or is not held
correctly. Gravity has it's say as well- and from previous exerience
when I got my first chuck, anything that could possibly be heavy
enough to break the sheild drops just as fast or faster than it is
moving towards you. Most heavy things will fall fast, then roll along
the floor- not shoot at you like a cannonball. The face shield will
easily save you from high velocity splinters and smaller chunks of
wood that are moving really fast, and those are the dangers that piece
of equipment is guarding you against.

I am the only person wearing a dust mask, and it gets pretty dirty after a
few hours.

A dust mask is always a good idea, not matter what you're doing to
make dust.

As always, common sense will keep you safe as much as anything else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:49:04 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "George" wrote:

Eyes are very vulnerable and deserve protection.

True -- but they are not the only parts of your face that should be protected.
Teeth, for example...

Face shields are often
more trouble in distortion, distraction and discomfort than they're worth,
especially when the above procedures are followed.

It does not appear that you have much, if any, experience in wearing face
shields. Mine gives *no* problems with distortion or distraction -- and
comfort is one of the reasons I prefer it to goggles. Vision is so clear, and
the shield so lightweight and comfortable, that I often forget it's there,
even to the point of banging my knuckles on it when I reach up to scratch my
nose. In addition to being more comfortable than goggles, it also takes less
time to don or doff -- which means I'm *much* more likely to use it, as
there's really no excuse at all for not wearing it. The one downside I've
experienced with a face shield is the importance of remembering to flip it up
when I feel a sneeze coming on. :-b

I've got one that is clear, lightweight and comfortable, but it builds
up so much static electricity that is sucks every bit of dust it can
hold migrates to it immediately, and make it hard to see. So, I hedge
my bets a little, and use it when I have any suspicions that what I'm
doing might come loose or break apart. I always wear it for doing
anything with metal, especially after I looked at the stick I used to
true the first disk I tried spinning- getting hit with that would be
about as nice as trying to catch a circular saw blade tossed like a
frisbee with your teeth. For things like roughing between centers, I
don't get too worked up about it.

Of course, any helpful tips on eliminating that static charge would
probably convince me to use the sucker at all times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:41:52 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I don't mean to suggest that lathes are vicious, murderous tools, lurking

in
the corner of the shop waiting to leap upon some unsuspecting rookie

turner
and strangle him, but, like *any* power tool, they do have the potential

cause serious injury.

Is this where we start talking about the new LatheStop on the market and the
200 pounds of shielding around the piece of wood being turned to prevent it
from flying off the spindle and impaling someone in the forehead? Of course,
maybe it might be more prudent to invest in the BodyStop personal armour.

You know, that makes me wonder about something I had forgotten about-

In a high school woodshop I saw during a voc. school class a couple of
years ago, all of the lathes had lexan hoods over them that could be
flipped back if needed. Why isn't that standard equipment? Granted,
many of them would probably be removed and go in the corner next to
the table saw guard, but it seems like a good thing to have on when
roughing wood with bark still on it or with uncertain chucking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote in
:

You know, that makes me wonder about something I had forgotten about-

In a high school woodshop I saw during a voc. school class a couple of
years ago, all of the lathes had lexan hoods over them that could be
flipped back if needed. Why isn't that standard equipment? Granted,
many of them would probably be removed and go in the corner next to
the table saw guard, but it seems like a good thing to have on when
roughing wood with bark still on it or with uncertain chucking.

It sounds like its negative of reduced access won't impede lathe use much
and could potentially save you from injury once or twice. It's not like
some of those safety guards they put on things (bench grinder) that do
nothing but get in the way.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

Is this where we start talking about the new LatheStop on the market

*snip*

I think (but don't quote me on this) that a chuck set sufficiently high
to allow materials to turn on the lathe while still slipping if the
average human resisted could be employed to prevent loose
clothing/wrapping type injuries.

Puckropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote:

I've got one that is clear, lightweight and comfortable, but it builds
up so much static electricity that is sucks every bit of dust it can
hold migrates to it immediately, and make it hard to see. So, I hedge
my bets a little, and use it when I have any suspicions that what I'm
doing might come loose or break apart. I always wear it for doing
anything with metal, especially after I looked at the stick I used to
true the first disk I tried spinning- getting hit with that would be
about as nice as trying to catch a circular saw blade tossed like a
frisbee with your teeth. For things like roughing between centers, I
don't get too worked up about it.

Of course, any helpful tips on eliminating that static charge would
probably convince me to use the sucker at all times.

Polonium antistatic brush on ioniser?

http://www.amstat.com/solutions/staticmaster.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Prometheus wrote in
:

You know, that makes me wonder about something I had forgotten about-

In a high school woodshop I saw during a voc. school class a couple of
years ago, all of the lathes had lexan hoods over them that could be
flipped back if needed. Why isn't that standard equipment? Granted,
many of them would probably be removed and go in the corner next to
the table saw guard, but it seems like a good thing to have on when
roughing wood with bark still on it or with uncertain chucking.

It sounds like its negative of reduced access won't impede lathe use much
and could potentially save you from injury once or twice. It's not like
some of those safety guards they put on things (bench grinder) that do
nothing but get in the way.

Lots of lathes used to come with. Ours had Delta's hybrid of wire cage and
plastic windows. Didn't need the cage behind if it was placed up to the
wall, and the arm that mounted it actually got in the way of doing that.
The plastic windows were a static-plagued joke, and would have become worse
had anyone been allowed to finish on the lathe. They were abandoned when
they were so bad they had to be replaced.

Mechanicals dreamed up to attempt to escape liability for poor human
practice, and probably in full knowledge of their ineffectiveness.

One thing I give them is they would protect the passers-by from the lathe
operation. The person using the lathe, of course, had no reason whatsoever
to be in the fragment zone, nor any cause to turn the equipment on until
firm grip was assured on the main piece.

Dangerous... jay hey Home Repair 6 March 8th 06 09:00 PM
OT dangerous dogs [email protected] Woodworking 16 November 23rd 05 07:15 PM
OT dangerous dogs Lawrence Wasserman Woodworking 0 November 18th 05 05:19 PM
OT dangerous dogs no(SPAM)vasys Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 09:47 PM
OT dangerous dogs Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 08:38 PM