Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How dangerous are lathes?

Robatoy wrote:

Mmmmmm....here's my take on that.
Somebody who doesn't use his head and makes a stupid move is more
likely to get hurt than somebody who does use his head and makes
smarter/safer/more thought-out moves.
One is more vulnerable than the other.
One is more likely to get hurt.
Neither will have immunity from a random series of events which lead to
an unforseen event resulting in an accident.
But if I had to place a bet? My money would be on the brighter of the
two.
Smart people can make mistakes too......or so I'm told.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. I think it is a sure bet
that careless distraction is certainly a recipe for accidents. And I
think it stands to reason that a prepared person that is focused on the
task at hand, employing available safety protection is less likely to
SUFFER from the results of an accident. However, no amount of thinking
or planning will prevent or preclude all accidents. By definition that
is why the term exists.

In my experience, it is not carelessness or distraction that causes
accidents. I have found that most DIY and "semi pro" (whatever in the
hell that is) suffer at the hands of their own arrogance and over
confidence. And I couldn't have found a better example if I had
interviewed a hundred people: "no reason for a thinking man to get
hurt at the lathe".

My point was simply that sometimes you do all you can to be a safe as
possible, and there are still events that transpire that you cannot
anticipate. Safety gear and focus are the best ways to keep from
having accidents, and to mitigate the results when you have them.

I have never met anyone (maybe I need to get out more) than can
outsmart an (not even a smart "thinking man") accident by simply
thinking about things.

Robert