Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How dangerous are lathes?

In article , "George" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

The OP said "the instructor is very casual about safety" -- that doesn't
sound
like safety is "automatic" to him; quite the opposite, I'd say, and that
*does* mean trouble.

Possible that the new guy doesn't know enough to recognize what's being
practiced.

The OP in this case may be new to turning, but he's definitely not new to
woodworking.

You, for instance know nothing about it, but are willing to condemn rather
than entertain for a moment the chance that your opinion might be in error.

While I wasn't there, and don't have first-hand knowledge, it's certainly not
true that I "know nothing about it" -- I read the OP's post, and know what he
reported. If his report is accurate, and we have no reason to suppose
otherwise, then the instructor is an ass, and a dangerous one at that.

You, OTOH, know no more about it than I do (and quite possibly less, since
your comments leave considerable doubt as to whether you actually read the
original post), yet you are willing to condemn the OP's statements, and assume
that he is unable to recognize safe practices when he sees them -- rather than
entertain for a moment the chance that your opinion might be in error.

--
Regards,