Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default How dangerous are lathes?

"Robatoy" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
[snip]
I have never met anyone (maybe I need to get out more) than can
outsmart an (not even a smart "thinking man") accident by simply
thinking about things.

Yabbut, yabbut...(at the risk of belabouring the point).. doesn't a
thinking man
have an advantage when assessing risk?
Even though I have done a certain routine a bunch of times, I tend to
stop and think and ask myself the following question: "IF this is
going to fark me over, how would it happen?"
That is as natural as ascertaining that I have enough cord to get to
the end of a cut I'm making.
I don't start cutting and then, when 60% through the cut, I run out of
cord...now I have to look at my problem, or try to pull on the
cord...or stop and start things... (I got really close to getting hurt
that way.)... basically losing focus of my activity. It is at times
like that, when shiat tends to happen.

snip

I have grown sons, all pretty bright. One of them, perhaps the
brightest, can be a serious space cadet at times. Loses focus on
mundane activities, and puts all around him at risk.

We try really hard not to distract him when he has sharp tools at hand.
Riding with him when he drives is serious business.

Patriarch