Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape Residue Removal

Yes I DAGS but my particular problem was not covered.

I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the
surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in
place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with
the shellac finish I plan to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Russ Stanton" wrote:
Yes I DAGS but my particular problem was not covered.

I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the
surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in
place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with
the shellac finish I plan to use.

The very first thing I'd try is ethyl alcohol.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer with
the shellac finish I plan to use.

I'd try 1.) a scraper and 2.) mineral spirits
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Russ Stanton wrote:

I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out

on the
surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the

tape in
place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not

interfer with
the shellac finish I plan to use.

Don't send a boy, I use acetone.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Russ Stanton" wrote...

I used Blue Macking tape to try and avoid getting glue squeeze out on the
surface of the wood. Due to circumstances i would up leaving the tape in
place for about two weeks and now have tape residue on the bare wood.

What do you suggest for removal of this residue that will not interfer

with
the shellac finish I plan to use.

To avoid liquifying the glue with solvent and then rubbing it into the wood,
first pick up the glue residue using a rubber cement lift or tape. The
adhesive on the tape will stick to the adhesive on the wood and lift it off.

Then, clean the area with xylol (excellent tape adhesive solvent), and then
a quick wipe wipe with naphtha for a final degreasing, and you should be
fine.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have no idea if this would work, but reading another response that
suggested a rubber cement lift gave me this thought. I wonder if a crepe
eraser (like you'd use to remove residue from sanding belts & disks) would
be efffective?

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Removing duct tape residue Davao UK diy 7 May 18th 06 09:23 PM
Duck tape: is there a brand that doesn't leave sticky residue [or is there an alternative]? [email protected] Home Repair 12 October 21st 05 02:19 AM
Masking Tape Removal? Mat Home Repair 3 September 30th 05 09:28 AM
silicone residue removal [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 13th 05 07:27 PM
Duck tape residue on glass Stuart Home Repair 16 May 3rd 05 01:38 AM