Default Duck tape: is there a brand that doesn't leave sticky residue [or is there an alternative]?

I want to use something like duck tape to hold down some plastic drop
cloths [and some carpenter's rosin paper] onto floor carpet. However,
duck tape [and to a lesser degree, "gaffer's" tape] leave a sticky
residue if it is left on the carpet for very long.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the tape on the carpet for 3 to 6 months.

My experience is that masking tape doesn't have enough "sticking
power," in addition to the fact that it, too, leaves a very sticky
residue after a short period of time.

Does anyone know what type of tape will be kept on the longest without
leaving its glue? [Even if I can't find something that will last 3
months without depositing its residue, learning about something that
will last longer than duck tape will be useful].

Thanks.

Bob

louie

I think your problem isn't so much the tape as it is trying to tape to
a carpet. As you've no doubt discovered, nothing really sticks too
well to a carpet that doesn't leave a lot of mess behind. Have you
thought of taping the edges of the sheet to a loose board and letting
the board weigh it down?

John H. Holliday

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to use something like duck tape to hold down some plastic drop
cloths [and some carpenter's rosin paper] onto floor carpet. However,
duck tape [and to a lesser degree, "gaffer's" tape] leave a sticky
residue if it is left on the carpet for very long.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the tape on the carpet for 3 to 6 months.

My experience is that masking tape doesn't have enough "sticking
power," in addition to the fact that it, too, leaves a very sticky
residue after a short period of time.

Does anyone know what type of tape will be kept on the longest without
leaving its glue? [Even if I can't find something that will last 3
months without depositing its residue, learning about something that
will last longer than duck tape will be useful].

Thanks.

Bob

Well, I guess you could try *duct* tape.

Doc

PanHandler

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to use something like duck tape to hold down some plastic drop
cloths [and some carpenter's rosin paper] onto floor carpet. However,
duck tape [and to a lesser degree, "gaffer's" tape] leave a sticky
residue if it is left on the carpet for very long.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the tape on the carpet for 3 to 6 months.

My experience is that masking tape doesn't have enough "sticking
power," in addition to the fact that it, too, leaves a very sticky
residue after a short period of time.

Does anyone know what type of tape will be kept on the longest without
leaving its glue? [Even if I can't find something that will last 3
months without depositing its residue, learning about something that
will last longer than duck tape will be useful].

'Duck' is a brand name for one of many 'duct' tapes on the market.

Does anyone know what type of tape will be kept on the longest without
leaving its glue? [Even if I can't find something that will last 3
months without depositing its residue, learning about something that
will last longer than duck tape will be useful].

The blue masking tape can be left on for at least a month, I'd say,
without leaving a residue. But it won't stick to a carpet. It might
work to stick it to the baseboard.

Roger Taylor

I used pieces of wooden lath, 1/4 x 1 1/2 inch, and pressed it down over
doubled-over tarp edges, then nailed every couple of feet, using 1 inch
thin-shank nails, which did minimal damage to the underlying wood floor. The
boards were easy to pop up my prying up the board with a small pry-bar, and
there was no visible damage to the carpet. If you have slab under the rug,
this won't work.

Sacramento Dave

They make a clear plastic about 3' wide that sticks to carpet. I see it on
allot of commercial remodels to protect the carpet, I don't no what it is
called or the cost

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to use something like duck tape to hold down some plastic drop
cloths [and some carpenter's rosin paper] onto floor carpet. However,
duck tape [and to a lesser degree, "gaffer's" tape] leave a sticky
residue if it is left on the carpet for very long.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the tape on the carpet for 3 to 6 months.

My experience is that masking tape doesn't have enough "sticking
power," in addition to the fact that it, too, leaves a very sticky
residue after a short period of time.

Does anyone know what type of tape will be kept on the longest without
leaving its glue? [Even if I can't find something that will last 3
months without depositing its residue, learning about something that
will last longer than duck tape will be useful].

Thanks.

Bob

Wow...what a good bunch of ideas you all have provided:

- I never thought of the "loose board," "office staple" or "wooden
lath" solutions, so I'm going to try all of these and see which ones
work best in my particular situation.

Although the "wrapping the plastic around the carpet edges" won't work
on my wall-to-wall carpet [I forget to mention that that's the type of
carpet I have, which is not on a slab], it's a great idea that I can
try on the "non-wall-to-wall" carpet in another room.

Thanks, everybody, for your ideas!

Bob