Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dial indicator-gear pullers-go nuts.

I just HAD to put a dial indicator on the blade on my LS1013 Makita
SCMS.
Just HAD to. It was cutting just fine, but I had to know just HOW fine.

Is that a couple of thou worth of wobble I see?
Maybe a little dirt on the flange. Nope
Blade?.. tried a blade which was just set by Royce Carbide. Nope.
Marked the spindle, rotated the blade 180 degrees, problem stayed with
the mark on the spindle.
Put the indicator on the spindle...uh-oh... then it came back to me.. a
massive snag and blow-out a few weeks ago, broke the little flip-thingy
fence off and destroyed one of the inserts.

I am only speculating that's what bent my spindle, but what the heck,
I'll just order a new one from
ereplacementparts.com ( http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ ) Had it a
week or so later. These guys are great, btw... even got a phonecall
asking me if it would help me if they sent it the cheap way and that it
was going out that day..cool.

Spindle arrived today. Had a successful countertop install this
morning, so out comes the toolbox... why not.. a quiet Friday afternoon
project. Talk about tight tolerances. I had never been in the gearbox
of that saw and couldn't believe how immaculate the gears were. That
saw gets a lot of use. No sign of wear. The beveled gear is a separate
part from the spindle, nice.
Anyway, those cussed bearings didn't want to come off, and I hate using
gear pullers on bearings when I can only grab the outer race. So I had
to go find small, but good quality pullers. The ones I had, were
designed to pull the turret off a Leopard tank.Nobody has a small,
quality puller, finally found one. Snap rings, key for the keyway,
spring for the blade guard, dropping ****, busy shopping centres, too
damned much traffic, phone is ringing, dad needs a ride to the hospital
to see my mom... a genuine challenge to my patience and composure.

I could feel it the second I pulled the trigger on the saw. Much
smoother. No measurable runout. Now I'm thinking that it may have never
been right in the first place.... worth doing.

Hit me again, dad... no ice... make it a double.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

[...]

Nah. I use a hand sledge and a cold chisel. Them bearing suckers come
right off.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:

[...]

One word... Cutting Torches!

--

-Mike-

Paint everything to match afterwards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

Snip

I could feel it the second I pulled the trigger on the saw. Much
smoother. No measurable runout. Now I'm thinking that it may have never
been right in the first place.... worth doing.

Hit me again, dad... no ice... make it a double.

Glad to hear that it did not turn into one of those "If it aint broke, don't
fix it", stories.

Dial Indicator [email protected] Woodturning 4 June 1st 06 05:37 AM
special dial indicator Karl Townsend Metalworking 8 March 22nd 06 09:26 PM
Dial indicator Hitch Woodworking 16 June 14th 05 04:04 AM
Dial Indicator Ian Robinson Metalworking 4 May 15th 04 03:32 PM
Help Sand & Dial Indicator Sunworshiper Metalworking 14 July 31st 03 11:13 PM