Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trim router base

I have a Ridgid laminate trimmer. It has a small round base (like a mini
router). I find is somewhat difficult to balance the router on the edge of
the work and trim. I'd like to remove the clear base that came with it and
make a rectangular base that is easier to balance. The base needs to be low
friction and long wear. I'm assuming nylon is the best material to buy?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

SimonLW wrote:
I have a Ridgid laminate trimmer. It has a small round base (like a mini
router). I find is somewhat difficult to balance the router on the edge of
the work and trim. I'd like to remove the clear base that came with it and
make a rectangular base that is easier to balance. The base needs to be low
friction and long wear. I'm assuming nylon is the best material to buy?
Thanks

1/4" Lexan would be great.

I make lots of router bases with 1/4" tempered hardboard, the hardboard
that's smooth on both sides. A little wax helps it grove and should
protect from wear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good plan. i outfitted my handheld router with rectangular place about 3x8
and have not taken it off since.

It's made of Phenolic (sp?) resin... it was part of a 9x12 "sheet that i
intended to make a router table insert from.... but a decade later it was
still unused.

I made the hole V shaped (open to the front) this allows me to do
flush-cutting of pins. I have even used this technique to trim down a blue
electrical box that was a little proud of the wallboard.

(yes I turned off the circuit breaker)

-Steve