Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Grooves

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Detroit just got a European Classical / Classical Jazz station

(90.9 FM
if you happen to be in the area) that plays Mozart, Holst, etc. all

day
but Jazz from 7 pm.

Way back when I was still living in Cleveland, would catch JP McCarthy
in the morning on WJR.

Also, the station in Windsor was neat.

My how times have changed.

Life goes on.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 5:14 pm, Bill in Detroit wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Ella, Diana, Sarah, Art Tatum, Joe Williams, Monk, Brubeck, Miles.

The list goes on, but you get the idea.

LewDetroit just got a European Classical / Classical Jazz station (90.9 FM

if you happen to be in the area) that plays Mozart, Holst, etc. all day
but Jazz from 7 pm.

Not much news and no political commentary AT ALL!

Every radio in my house is permanently tuned to it.

Bill

I know my Grundig at home will pull it in, I hope my blaster at the
shop will too. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Bill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:56:04 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

OBWW

Her Strut - Bob Seger.

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley.

seed money

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

It is both amazing and gratifying to me how the occasional music
thread cleanses the group and brings up both the similarity and its
opposite in terms of taste.

My initiation of the thread was about base line grooves, which I
figured that Swing would jump on but that most would leave more or
less alone. I thought this to be obvious from the initial selections.

I'm happy to see that my intent was misunderstood and that the product
is far more excellent than a strict adherence to the intent would have
produced.

Since we seem to be talking about the baddest possible jams, I'd like
to add:

Damned near anything that Joe Pass ever played.

Damned near anything that McCoy Tyner ever played.

Everything that Wes ever played.

Everything that I've ever heard Django play.

Everything that Ricky Skaggs ever thought about playing.

Any mandolin played by that kid from Nickel Creek.

Mingus...Mingus...Mingus.

Steve Stills, when he's really on.

CSNY when all the high notes ring.

The entire Buffalo Springfield Again albumen.

Dylan - for fooking ever.

That wonderful blonde woman from Canada who did almost every song that
I liked in the mid seventies. (the wind is in from Africa...)

Canadian Railroad Trilogy.

The Last Of The Red Hot Burritos album that has the best version of
Six Days On The Road that was ever recorded.

Leonard Bernstein for his scoring of West Side Story.

Vangelis for his scoring of Chariots Of Fire.

Tom Waits.

Warren Zevon.

Well, we're at the Z's. Let the rest pass for now.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 7:48 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
[schnipfered for brevity]
My initiation of the thread was about base line grooves, which I
figured that Swing would jump on but that most would leave more or
less alone. I thought this to be obvious from the initial selections.

Base lines ...or bass lines *G*..Like Taxman, Paperback Writer, Drive
My Car, Ticket To Ride..

No bass, no base. A good rythm section will drag the rest of the band
through to recovery after their biggest screw-ups.

Robbie Shakespeare, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool.
Saw David Jacques a few weeks ago with John Prine, excellent.

here's some Wooten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

here's some Wooten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY

WOOT -- WOOT -- WOOT -- WOOT -- WOOT -- WOOT -- WOOT!!!

-Don (a fan of Victor's)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

OBWW

Her Strut - Bob Seger.

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley.

seed money

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

This post makes me ponder how much great music is out there today.
But, it would be my opinion that Sir Paul M is not among them. I feel
that Lennon was the genius.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 6:19 am, Joe Bemier wrote:

But, it would be my opinion that Sir Paul M is not among them. I feel
that Lennon was the genius.

Lennon & McCartney were prolific pop-tune generators. Their
understanding of what the market desired was probably the best ever.
It was Harrison who was the 'genius'..and Riongo was a FAR better
drummer than anybody gave him credit for.
Just saying...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anything with a tambourine, especially Motown. --dave

wrote:

OBWW

Her Strut - Bob Seger.

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits.

All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley.

seed money

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

This post makes me ponder how much great music is out there today.
But, it would be my opinion that Sir Paul M is not among them. I feel
that Lennon was the genius.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Nov 2006 05:19:07 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

On Nov 23, 6:19 am, Joe Bemier wrote:

But, it would be my opinion that Sir Paul M is not among them. I feel
that Lennon was the genius.

Lennon & McCartney were prolific pop-tune generators. Their
understanding of what the market desired was probably the best ever.
It was Harrison who was the 'genius'..and Riongo was a FAR better
drummer than anybody gave him credit for.
Just saying...

Thats an interesting POV - I cannot disagree. And, I'm not sure why,
but drummers never seem to get much notice.....except maybe that dude
from Blink 182 who's got that babe and all...
My point is based on Lennon's post Beatles work compared to Paul's.
Imagine and other work of Lennon have a genius to them. While Paul's
work is marginal at best. I believe that if Paul were not a Beatle,
his work would be canned. But, JMO - and I am not much of an expert in
music - just an avid user.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 23, 6:19 am, Joe Bemier wrote:

But, it would be my opinion that Sir Paul M is not among them. I feel
that Lennon was the genius.

Lennon & McCartney were prolific pop-tune generators. Their
understanding of what the market desired was probably the best ever.
It was Harrison who was the 'genius'..and Riongo was a FAR better
drummer than anybody gave him credit for.
Just saying...

I'm not sure which part of this to take vehemant exception to Robatoy. For
starters, Lennon and McCarthy were'nt pop tune generators. Well - not after
Sgt. Pepper anyway. They didn't understand what the market wanted, they
pushed the market into new sounds and expressions that the market had no
idea were out there. They were nothing if they weren't drivers of music.
Like Hendricks, they were forces in changing the course of the market with
radical and unexpected music.

Harrison was a great musician and both schooled and talented, but a genius
he was not. He brought a discipline to the Beatles with his jazz roots and
his structured playing but he was as predicatable as the sun rising every
morning. His song writing was nice, but not genius. If anything George was
the foundational, or stabilizing force within the band.

As for Ringo - I'd agree that he was better than the worst of his reputation
as a drummer and he did have more schooling and background than many knew,
but it was easy to not recognize that Ringo had that background since his
playing was so bland. Not like an artisitic underexpression - just
uninspired drumming. He had more knowledge of what to do with drums, but in
my opinion, he was as bad a drummer as he is accused of having been - simply
because that's how he played... badly. It does not matter what he knew - he
played badly. That's a bad drummer.

.... and I love the Beatles. Go figure.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 8:51 am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
For
starters, Lennon and McCarthy were'nt pop tune generators. Well - not after
Sgt. Pepper anyway. They didn't understand what the market wanted, they
pushed the market into new sounds and expressions that the market had no
idea were out there. They were nothing if they weren't drivers of music.

I would have to give you that the Beatles as a package was a driver to
the industry. The helm of which was firmly in the hands of George
Martin. McCartney wrote pop. Period. In many cases, Martin turned that
into music. Lennon had passion, and I still believe him to be one of
the best 'blues' singers. Man, that dude could convey pain. That
'Imagine' drivel was cute in a 'protesty' way, musically very bland.
The song 'Woman' was more of the same. McCarney's path, post Beatles
was 'Wings'.. 'nuff said.

Harrison was a great musician and both schooled and talented, but a genius
he was not. He brought a discipline to the Beatles with his jazz roots and
his structured playing but he was as predicatable as the sun rising every
morning. His song writing was nice, but not genius. If anything George was
the foundational, or stabilizing force within the band.

Bite your tongue. He was a stabilizing force because he was rock solid.
He would always have a nifty lick to spice up the otherwise bland L&McC
'creations'. The whole mystic side came from him. He made them hip in
their day. Take a good look at Harrison's catalogue and hold it next to
the pop-drivel of McCartney (When I'm 64??")... Give 'Something' a
close listen again and we'll talk about Harrison as a foundation some
more. Don't confuse Harrison's image with his talent. I can perceive
The Beatles without any one of the other three members, but not without
Harrison. I guess we see things differently. That doesn't make me
right.

As for Ringo - [snip] It does not matter what he knew - he
played badly. That's a bad drummer.

He just happened to play in the best band in history. He was good
enough for the Beatles. But it is hard to shine when all you do is play
pop tunes written by the likes of Lennon & McCartney. Moon and Zak have
seen other sides of him.

... and I love the Beatles. Go figure.

So do I...go figure. (But having said that, Michael Jackson's Thriller
still sets my foot a-tapping too. I like pop. Good pop.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

As for Ringo -

Not like an artisitic underexpression - just uninspired drumming.

Might have been for the best with McCartney on bass. The drummer better/MUST
be able to please a bass player who also happens to be a/the driving force
in the band, regardless of whether the drummer is "inspired" or not.

IOW, unless the drummer started the band, or can _really_ sing either lead
or harmony, he won't last long if the bass player doesn't like him/can't
play with him.

Personally, I much prefer an "uninspired" drummer who can meet me on the top
of the beat and shake hands, over one who is "inspired" but doesn't quite
'feel' a groove the same as I do.

The band sounds better as a result. I see/experience this quite a few times
a month playing with different drummers, but with the same core group of
players who have been playing together for ten plus years.

In the same vein with the Ringo thing ... what is notable is that the best
bands are greater then the sum of their parts ... trite but all too true.

A band only needs one outstanding musician to be "great" ... four competent
musicians, and one world class musician pulling them along, historically
make better bands than five world class musicians.

Best proof of that "rule": Creedence Clearwater Revival ... worst musicians
on the planet, PLUS John Fogarty.

And further proven by the many iterations of "all star" bands who's music
ends up well executed, but with no soul/drive/excitement.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you, Mike ... I just had the
opportunity to chime in my tuppence between turkey basting.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:28:52 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Q:What's the similarity between a drummer and a philosopher?
A: They both perceive time as an abstract concept.

Q: What did the drummer get on his I.Q. Test?
A: Saliva.

Q: What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?
A: "The Defendant"

Q: What do you call a beautiful woman on a drummer's arm?
A: A tattoo.

Q: What is the difference between a drummer and a vacuum cleaner?
A: You have to plug one of them in before it sucks.

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a large pizza?
A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Q: What's the latest crime wave in New York City?
A: Drive-by drum solos.

Q: What will you never say about a drummer?
A: That's the drummer's Porsche.

Q: What is the difference between a drummer and a prostitute?
A. Most prostitutes have a sense of rhythm.

Q:What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians?
A: drummer.

Q. What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?
A. Homeless.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow-up I think I'd
like to be a drummer." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do
both."

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Q:What's the similarity between a drummer and a philosopher?
A: They both perceive time as an abstract concept.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow-up I think I'd
like to be a drummer." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do
both."

Gig Rules, Infractions and Fines

DRUMMER OFFENSES

NAME OF DRUMMER: __________________________________

DRUMMERS REAL NAME: _______________________________
(other than "sticks", "backbeat", "snake", "drowned-out" ... etc.)

DATE OF OFFENSE(S): _____ / _____ / _______

Setup / Equipment Offenses:

[ ] Brings a 36" bass drum ..$25.
[ ] Has more than one bass drum. ..$100.
[ ] Brings a 10" deep snare (for a solid back beat)..$50.
[ ] Brings more than 2 mounted toms ..$25.
[ ] Has a tubular chrome bar that holds all his mounted toms ..$50.
[ ] Brings more than one floor tom .$25.
[ ] Brings more than one crash cymbal ..$25.
[ ] Doesn't bring a ride cymbal..$250.
[ ] Brings a 46" Chinese gong (for big endings)..$75.
[ ] Brings two timpani (for really big endings)..$100.
[ ] Doesn't bring any brushes..$300.
[ ] Has a hi-hat that is welded shut..$250.
[ ] Asks leader where he can plug in his headphones..$200.
[ ] Wears old black Nike sneakers on tux gig..$50.
[ ] Tunes snare drum during the benediction..$175.

Playing Offenses:

[ ] Plays eighth note rock ballad style on "Stardust"..$150.
[ ] Pretends to read chart with big band..$25.
[ ] Actually reads drum part for big band (note for note)..$200.
[ ] Asks bass player "Where are we?" on "Happy Birthday"..$100.
[ ] Plays disco beat on "A Train"..$200.
[ ] Takes fours on "The Bride Cuts the Cake"..$100.
[ ] Takes a break when the leader says "A request for Take 5"..$25.
[ ] Actually tries to play on "Take 5"..$150.
[ ] Asks leader what brushes are..$250.
[ ] Plays breaks in "Cute" with sticks..$50.
[ ] Plays breaks in "Cute" on timpani..$100.
[ ] Plays breaks in "Cute" on Chinese gong..$250.
[ ] Juggling drumsticks during song ..$250.
[ ] Losing time while juggling drumsticks ..$350.
[ ] Failure to catch juggled drumsticks ..$500.
[ ] Stop playing to pick up dropped drumstick(s) ..$1250.

Other Miscellaneous Offenses:

[ ] Mentions to host that "DJs are the wave of the future..$100.
[ ] Is first in line at the party's buffet..$50.
[ ] Asks where the "take-out bags" are at the buffet line..$100.
[ ] Asks the bartender for 3 "Purple Shooters"..$50.
[ ] Says to the bride "You've got a nice set of hooters"..$25.
[ ] Says to the brides mother "Hey this is a f#%*in' good party"..$150.
[ ] Is ten minutes late for the next set..$25.
[ ] Is twenty minutes late for the next set..$10.
[ ] Never shows up for the next set..$1.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was Tom Watson who stated:

Q:What's the similarity between a drummer and a philosopher?
A: They both perceive time as an abstract concept.

yadda, yadda, yadda . . . .

I recently read about a bus that crashed. Killed in the crash were the
driver, four musicians, and a drummer.

BAH-DA-BOOM!
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:28:52 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Q:What's the similarity between a drummer and a philosopher?
A: They both perceive time as an abstract concept.

Q: What did the drummer get on his I.Q. Test?
A: Saliva.

Q: What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?
A: "The Defendant"

Q: What do you call a beautiful woman on a drummer's arm?
A: A tattoo.

Q: What is the difference between a drummer and a vacuum cleaner?
A: You have to plug one of them in before it sucks.

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a large pizza?
A: A large pizza can feed a family of four.

Q: What's the latest crime wave in New York City?
A: Drive-by drum solos.

Q: What will you never say about a drummer?
A: That's the drummer's Porsche.

Q: What is the difference between a drummer and a prostitute?
A. Most prostitutes have a sense of rhythm.

Q:What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians?
A: drummer.

Q. What do you call a drummer with no girlfriend?
A. Homeless.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow-up I think I'd
like to be a drummer." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do
both."

As a drummer myself, I must take exception! Some good ones here, though.
I'll have to save these since most work equally well when you replace
"drummer" with "guitarist" (particularly fitting is the one about time being
an abstract concept... for a lead guitarist!)

One of my favorites:
Q: How do you know you've got the drum riser level?
A: The drool comes out of both corners of the drummer's mouth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:21:48 GMT, "Keith Carlson"
wrote:

As a drummer myself, I must take exception! Some good ones here, though.
I'll have to save these since most work equally well when you replace
"drummer" with "guitarist" (particularly fitting is the one about time being
an abstract concept... for a lead guitarist!)

One of my favorites:
Q: How do you know you've got the drum riser level?
A: The drool comes out of both corners of the drummer's mouth.

Yeah. The original that was sent to me had different musicians for
the jokes and I changed them all to drummers.

Sorta like those all purpose ethnic jokes where you just plug in the
group that you decided to offend today.

Of course, I don't really dislike drummers.

I really dislike ukelele players.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 4:44 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
[snip]

I really dislike ukelele players.

O RLY?
Check this out Tom.. and get back to me.

http://tinyurl.com/ofn6r