Default Sash window draught sealing - narrow grooves ?

I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Rob

Stuart Noble

wrote:
I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Rob

2mm router cutter?
Anything fitted to the sashes shouldn't be a problem though you'll
obviously need to take them out.
Their advice about pinning and mastic to fix the parting bead into an
oversized groove would be a bit of a bodge
Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...
I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Surprisingly it seems that you can get 2mm router bits - I'd have
thought that a biscuit-joint cutter would have been a better idea, but I
can't seem to find any that thin.

wrote:
I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Rob

Circular saw. Dont forget to clamp a piece of wood on the out end to
avoid any tearing of the wood.

NT

Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
In article .com,
says...
I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Surprisingly it seems that you can get 2mm router bits - I'd have
thought that a biscuit-joint cutter would have been a better idea, but I
can't seem to find any that thin.

Found what I was looking for :-)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=30158

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=32569

Stuart Noble

Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article .com,
says...

I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Surprisingly it seems that you can get 2mm router bits - I'd have
thought that a biscuit-joint cutter would have been a better idea, but I
can't seem to find any that thin.

Found what I was looking for :-)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=30158

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=32569

A straight 2mm cutter might be easier than having the router body at
right angles, but either way the setup will probably be a bit of a fiddle.
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,

snip
Surprisingly it seems that you can get 2mm router bits - I'd have
thought that a biscuit-joint cutter would have been a better idea, but I
can't seem to find any that thin.

Found what I was looking for :-)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=30158

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=32569

A straight 2mm cutter might be easier than having the router body at
right angles, but either way the setup will probably be a bit of a fiddle.

I was thinking a 2mm router bit would be incredibly tedious to use - the
cutting speed will be low and the bit must be fragile even if it is
solid TC.
Stuart Noble

Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Rob Morley wrote:

In article ,

snip

Surprisingly it seems that you can get 2mm router bits - I'd have
thought that a biscuit-joint cutter would have been a better idea, but I
can't seem to find any that thin.

Found what I was looking for :-)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=30158

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=32569

A straight 2mm cutter might be easier than having the router body at
right angles, but either way the setup will probably be a bit of a fiddle.

I was thinking a 2mm router bit would be incredibly tedious to use - the
cutting speed will be low and the bit must be fragile even if it is
solid TC.

I've used a steel 3mm straight bit and it was fast and effortless at a
depth of half an inch, which is probably more than you'll need. Either
way you've got to guide it on the edge of the sash so I suppose whatever
makes it easier to do that.

I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Rob

Circular saw. Dont forget to clamp a piece of wood on the out end to
avoid any tearing of the wood.

NT

silly me, that wont give you 2mm. Use the circ and get a draught
excluder that likes 4mm. Its way quicker anyway.

NT

Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...
I picked up a link recently to Mighton :-

http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6

Several of the seals that they sell require narrow grooves to be fitted
into - eg 2mm. Any suggestions on how to make these please ?

Rob

Circular saw. Dont forget to clamp a piece of wood on the out end to
avoid any tearing of the wood.

NT

silly me, that wont give you 2mm. Use the circ and get a draught
excluder that likes 4mm. Its way quicker anyway.

You can get blades with a 2mm kerf.