Default Sash Window / Kitchen Worktop Problem

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, and would really appreciate some
advice from anyone out there. I'm completely naive when it comes to
most matters relating to DIY. Anyway, my problem: I'd like to fit my
kitchen so that there is a worktop surface, with units and also my sink
below a current sash window. However, the problem is that the top of my
preferred kitchen + worktop will require clearance of 90cm, but the
bottom of my sash window is only 85 cm from the floor.
I've drawn a quick sketch of problem at
http://www.iterion.com/WINDOW.gif

I'd rather not replace the window with smaller one, since it's at front
of house and it will look odd (and I've been told I may need council
permission) Would it be possible to cut back the offending part of the
window frame/sill so that my units and worktop can be installed flush
against the wall? Or alternatively does anyone else have a suggestion.

Many thanks again for your help in this problem which is driving me
mad.

Cheers

Ani

Pecanfan

I'd rather not replace the window with smaller one, since it's at front
of house and it will look odd (and I've been told I may need council
permission) Would it be possible to cut back the offending part of the
window frame/sill so that my units and worktop can be installed flush
against the wall? Or alternatively does anyone else have a suggestion.

Hi Ani,

We've got exactly the same problem in our kitchen and we ended up going for
a design where the worktop actually drops around the window area - looks
quirky and it makes quite a nice feature. It's a bigger drop on ours -
exactly the height of kitchen drawers conveniently enough - so the units
under the windows are basically the height of a standard unit minus a top
drawer, if that makes sense. :-)

Only problem with this is that the drop is too great to realistically have a
sink there - we ended up opting for moving the sink to the left - not
directly in front of the window but you can still see out at an angle.

Alternatively, you could probably get away with cutting the sill out flush
to the wall but any more than that and you'll probably hit the box of the
sash, at a guess. Actually, looking on your drawing, could you not cut the
sill out flush and then cut the worktop to neatly fit around the remaining
part of the window?

Hope this helps!

Andy

Lobster

[...]

Tricky.
I'm sure the internal sill (which presumably protrudes furthest) could
be removed without too much bother; you might be able to do similar with
the rest of the troublesome frame (it's likely to have a seperate
architrave round it). However, have you considered instead cutting away
the worktop to go round the window, rather than hacking a probably
nice-looking window to bits!? If you use normal 600mm deep worktops,
there's usually a gap of 100mm behind the cupboard back which takes
pipes, electrics etc; that would accomodate the window frame easily.

You'd probably want a bit of an upstand at the back of the worktop to
stop stuff falling down the gap; probably also a good idea to attach a
board to the front of the section of window frame which will be below
worktop height so that (a) it looks OK from outside and (b) to stop the
inevitable 'stuff' from falling down the back notwithstanding the
upstand, and ending up behind your units.

Alternatively - just chop off the bottom of your units and have a
worktop 60mm lower than normal! All units have quite a deep kicker
board underneath which (probably) absorb that difference in height (you
might have difficulty accomodating fridges/dishwashers and especially
ovens though).

David
Christian McArdle

I'd rather not replace the window with smaller one, since it's at front
of house and it will look odd (and I've been told I may need council
permission) Would it be possible to cut back the offending part of the
window frame/sill so that my units and worktop can be installed flush
against the wall? Or alternatively does anyone else have a suggestion.

We did exactly this and it looks fine. The sill was actually below the
worktop, so is still there. There's now just 3cm missing from the
architrave. We said 50 Hail Marys for the damage to the original
Edwardian wookwork.

The alternative was to cut the worktop to the architrave. However, we
decided this would look worse and be quite costly in cutting costs
(granite).

Christian.
jacob

I'd run it across the window without cutting into any of the old
joinery at all - no prob. The chances are your kitchen will have a
life of 10 years or so whereas the window if in good nick could be
there for another 50 or more. It would be a pity to spoil it.

cheers

Jacob

My first sash window! (A bit long) Adam UK diy 3 September 17th 03 04:47 PM
Painting a sash window... Adam UK diy 5 September 10th 03 04:53 PM
Kitchen countertop extending into garden window? paulaner Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 06:16 PM
Height between kitchen worktop and wall jerrybuilt UK diy 0 August 6th 03 12:37 PM
Cutting worktop and painting wood in kitchen?? whats best?? fireblade UK diy 1 July 22nd 03 09:30 AM