Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default opinions needed

I am installing a gas fireplace in a home I am currently rehabbing that I am
going to be moving into by the end of the year. What I want to do is build
stone surround for the fireplace, 4' tall x 4' wide. On top of the mantel, I
want to build an oak TV cabinet that goes all the way up to the ceiling. In
order to fit my current TV, the cabinet would need to be 24" deep. meaning
the fireplace surround would need to be 24" ~ deep. The gas insert only
requires about 16".

My brother, who is helping me rehab the house, thinks the fireplace will
look stupid that far off the wall. I can't say I can remember seeing a
fireplace that far off the wall, but if you can envision it, I am curious to
what other think, I certainly don't want to put the effort into something
that doesn't look right.