leonard

Default opinions on running DC pipe needed

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

Bob G.

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:44:49 -0500, "leonard"
wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

=====================

What you want is the shortest possible runs of pipe....
and with the least amount of "wyes" or elbows as possible....
..
My ceiling is just way to low to place my main trunk line up there
so I had to run my pipe about 24 inches off the floor all the way
around my 24x24 foot shop... darn close to 100 foot of pipe
just to get around the shop...plus the connections to each machine..
Plus the elbows at each corner really reduce the air flow ...

Ceiling mount is my choice IF I had the headroom ... Under floor
(if the pipe would be accessible )would be great but I did not have
that option either...

Bob Griffiths
Edwin Pawlowski

"leonard" wrote in message
I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a
1.5hp DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and
some say to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level
for max effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one
machine at a time.

thanks Len

I don't care what some people say. I ran mine where it fits. Part on the
floor, part on the ceiling. Both work.

Ba r r y

wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

My runs are based on convenience.

A "U" shaped feed serves a drill press, miter saw, 12" disc sander,
spare outlet, band saw, router table, jointer, and planer. This sits
on the floor, as it's behind the tools. These tools are arranged in a
three sided rectangle. Inside of the "U" is a trash can cyclone and
the DC itself. The feed to the table saw runs overhead, as I got
tired of tripping over the pipe across the floor..

Barry
loutent

Hi Len,

I have a 1.5 HP with 5 gates also. Since my shop
is in the basement and I installed the pipes after
I had storage cabinets built, I ran everything up
along the 7" ceiling. I used waste drain pipe that I
got at HD (instead of PVC). It was cheaper and was
closer to the correct diameter to fit the elbows etc.

From what I have read, it is more efficient if you keep
the ductwork low, but I have been pretty satisfied
with the vacuum I get at each gate - even the ones
that are 20 ft away.

The one idea (probably not original) that I came up
with was to have an extra blast gate positioned overhead in
the middle of the shop. I attached about 8 ft of flex hose
to it. Normally that hose is held on the ceiling with
a few pieces of hanger strap. When I need to roll out the
planer, sander etc, I just drop it down & slip it on the
machine with a quick-connect fitting.

I wish I had used better blast gates though. I installed the
cheap (around $5) plastic ones. They are ok, but seem to
accumulate sawdust which keeps them from closing completely
after awhile. It's a simple matter to scrape them clean with
a finishing nail, but maybe a better (metal) gate would eliminate
this chore.

Last hint is to make everything accessible & able to be
disconnected easily. I have a "dedicated" 5/16 inch nut wrench
that I use just to undo the duct clamps when needed.

Oh yes - I grounded mine, but there is a lot of dispute
as to if it is necessary. I just figured why not, so I did.

Good luck!

Lou

In article , leonard
wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:
snip

I don't care what some people say. I ran mine where it fits. Part on
the floor, part on the ceiling. Both work.

Ed's right, yet again. Everything else is theory, but we work in the real
world.

Mine(1) hangs from the rafters with made-in-Canada bungee cords.

Patriarch

(1) Endangering the safety of my loved ones, I ran 4" PVC. No explosions.
Yet.
mac davis

wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

others will have moe technical answers, but my limited experience with
a 2hp DC (HF) is that you only want to run pipes or hoses to the
height that they NEED to be... any unnecessary "lifting" is to be
avoided if you want an system that sucks.. *lol*

In my case, I'm still using several 4" hoses with blast gates until I
(maybe, someday) know where all the "stations" will be... so I try to
run all the hoses at bench top height...
A weak point in my system is an additional 10' hose going around a
doorway, but I felt that it as better than going up over the door and
then back down to the DC.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

short runs

no 90s

6" pipe

minimize flex, and yes, use 6" flex

custom make 6" gates and 6" ports

no 4" at all, none, zippo

references, highly recommended, great folks,
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...20Introduction
http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose.htm

with the 1.5hp unit, re-arrange your tools and DC to optimize for
shortest runs

I'm about 50% done w/ my setup. I will post pictures soon, but prolly
not soon enough for you if you want to start in a week or so.

The net of mine is DC sits in SW corner of shop. It feeds a wye to a
run that is on the floor and runs to the E about 8 feet. That line
feeds the TS, J, BS, and Planer. From that main wye, I plan to 45 up
to base cabinet height and then 45 to my line along the W wall. That
will feed the MS, DP, and others TBD (router table maybe, downdraft
maybe, etc)

The E to W run is less than 8 feet. My "along the E wall" run is less
than 16 feet.

Sorry, words are so hard to "see".

wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

by no 90s, what I meant was dont make an abrupt 90 degree turn if at
all possible. Worst case you a "long" turn, and better, use 2 45s, or
figure out a better way.

wrote:

I have researched for awhile on the placement of the DC pipe.(I have a 1.5hp
DC with 1 micron bags) Some people say to run it on the ceiling and some say
to run it along the wall and some say to run them at floor level for max
effect. I will be running with at least 5 blast gates but one machine at a
time.

thanks Len

Bruce

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:58:23 -0700, Patriarch wrote
(in article PM0Cd.842477$8_6.417825@attbi_s04):

Mine(1) hangs from the rafters with made-in-Canada bungee cords.

Patriarch

I have my piping temporarily hung with boxers from the rag bag 8^)

-Bruce

mac davis

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:32:51 GMT, Patriarch
wrote:

Bruce wrote in :

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:58:23 -0700, Patriarch wrote
(in article PM0Cd.842477$8_6.417825@attbi_s04):

Mine(1) hangs from the rafters with made-in-Canada bungee cords.

Patriarch

I have my piping temporarily hung with boxers from the rag bag 8^)

-Bruce

You win,

only temporarily.. he's going to have a tough time cleaning up spills
with bungies, since he already used all the rags.. *g*

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Need ideas for cutting clay sewer pipe Al Kondo Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 01:51 PM
Wesite needed & Welder opinions Dan Metalworking 20 March 15th 04 10:49 PM
Looking for opinions on pipe joints RB Home Repair 7 February 16th 04 03:58 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM