Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Toolless cord.

I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
*donning Nomex underwear*

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*donning Nomex underwear*

While slightly different from your suggestion, I WOULD like to see
power tool makers providing a "battery pack" with a tail on it that
could be plugged into the wall.

A simple AC-DC power adapter would fit nicely in a typical battery
pack, and would at least provide a useful tool when the batteries die
or are being charged.

If I were more of an EE I would look into developing my own in one of
my dead battery packs.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

thats why they sell extra batteries.
you want to be holding the charger also; your drill isnt heavy enough?

Posted to rec.woodworking

You're in luck. They do make that kind of drill. It's called a "plug
in drill". You have to leave it plugged in all the time to charge it
(they still haven't figured out a way around that) but it's much more
powerful than standard rechargable drills. Also, batteries never need
replacing and it's typically lighter than those with rechargable
batteries. They're available in most major hardware stores and
catalogues.

Robatoy wrote:
I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
: I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
: build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
: and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
: the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
: After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
: storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
: battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

And in case you're drilling farther away from an electrical outlet
that the cord is long, they could also sell a modular unit that
would extend the range -- something like another cord, with a
regular plug on one end, but a female plug on the other. Maybe
even make a few, in different lengths.

I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 5:36 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Robatoy wrote:: I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
: build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
: and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
: the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
: After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
: storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
: battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

And in case you're drilling farther away from an electrical outlet
that the cord is long, they could also sell a modular unit that
would extend the range -- something like another cord, with a
regular plug on one end, but a female plug on the other. Maybe
even make a few, in different lengths.

I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
Work with me here, we're on to something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 5:11 pm, "Chrisgiraffe" wrote:
You're in luck. They do make that kind of drill. It's called a "plug
in drill". You have to leave it plugged in all the time to charge it
(they still haven't figured out a way around that) but it's much more
powerful than standard rechargable drills. Also, batteries never need
replacing and it's typically lighter than those with rechargable
batteries. They're available in most major hardware stores and
catalogues.

Oh noes! Somebody beat me to it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

:
: I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

: Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
: modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
: Work with me here, we're on to something.

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
What do you think?

-- Andy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, I had something like that once, only they called it an electric drill,
or some such nonsense....

"N Hurst" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

It has removed 2892 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" writes:

You're in luck. They do make that kind of drill. It's called a "plug
in drill". You have to leave it plugged in all the time to charge it
(they still haven't figured out a way around that) but it's much more
powerful than standard rechargable drills. Also, batteries never need

My cordless 19.2 volt Porter-Cable drill had a lot more torque than my
Dewalt 3/8" corded drill.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" writes:

While slightly different from your suggestion, I WOULD like to see
power tool makers providing a "battery pack" with a tail on it that
could be plugged into the wall.

A simple AC-DC power adapter would fit nicely in a typical battery
pack, and would at least provide a useful tool when the batteries die
or are being charged.

I saw a cordless tool at Home Depot recently that includes a replacement
for the battery that has a cord to plug it in. Basically exactly what you
have described.

I can't remember the maker, but probably Ridgid or Ryobi.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Hall wrote:
They can start on that as soon as they complete work on an IM device
that you can simply talk into instead of all of that typing.

Dave Hall

On 16 Nov 2006 12:19:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

It's called a phone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brian Elfert wrote in
:

"N Hurst" writes:

While slightly different from your suggestion, I WOULD like to see
power tool makers providing a "battery pack" with a tail on it that
could be plugged into the wall.

A simple AC-DC power adapter would fit nicely in a typical battery
pack, and would at least provide a useful tool when the batteries die
or are being charged.

I saw a cordless tool at Home Depot recently that includes a
replacement for the battery that has a cord to plug it in. Basically
exactly what you have described.

I can't remember the maker, but probably Ridgid or Ryobi.

Brian Elfert

I have a screwdriver like that. It's a Skil, and came with a battery and
battery-cord. Unfortunately the motor brushes are pretty well shot in it
and that means replacing the whole motor...which I did...but I didn't get
it quite right so it's not running properly.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:
: even make a few, in different lengths.
:
: I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

: Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
: modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
: Work with me here, we're on to something.

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
What do you think?

-- Andy

Andy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 8:33 pm, "Warren Weber" hiview68NO
wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in ...

Robatoy wrote:
: even make a few, in different lengths.
:
: I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

: Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
: modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
: Work with me here, we're on to something.

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
What do you think?

-- AndyAndy... Don't they call that a SWITCH ?

Nooo, I don't think it is called a switch. A switch is a small,
reed-like branch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 6:11 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Robatoy wrote:: even make a few, in different lengths.
:
: I bet this would catch on with the right advertising.

: Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
: modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
: Work with me here, we're on to something.

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
What do you think?

-- Andy

You are a genius. And, to take that far-out thinking a step further,
what if somehow, (I know I'm really reaching here..) one could someday
select the direction of rotation? Huh? Huh? How's THAT for speculation.
We're talking front-cover of Popular Science here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Nov 2006 12:19:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

Well I know doing that sort of thing with my razor pretty much killed
the batteries. It would have to be set up so that the ac/dc
converter could supply enough juice to run the drill and charge the
battery at the same time, not draw the current through the battery
when charging.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Nov 2006 12:19:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

I think they should develop a battery powered tool, say a drill, and
build the charger right in the handle. All you have to do is run a cord
and plug it in and it will charge whilst (drat, that word again) using
the tool. The cord wouldn't be too much of a problem, I don't think.
After use, you could wrap it conveniently around the tool before
storing it in its case. You'd never have to worry about running out of
battery power, because it would always be plugged in.

Heh.

Reminds me of the conversation with my wife regarding her desire to
get a drill for her little pyrography/scroll saw shop. She was pretty
sure she had to get a cordless one- a cheap one would do, of course.
Anything cordless was fine in her book, even if it could barely drive
a screw, and would only hold a charge for a minute and a half. A
corded drill was absolutely out of the question, of course.

I still can't figure out her problem with the suggestion that she just
get a good DeWalt corded drill for $50 instead- I even offered to buy
it for her. The damn thing was never going to leave a 11' x 13' shop
with outlets on every wall. It's amazing how the cordless idea has
become so prevalent. They're great on a jobsite with no power, or for
a quick job in the backyard- but why in the hell would a person need
one inside the house when it's going to sit on one table at all times?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy (in )
said:

| On Nov 16, 6:11 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
|| Robatoy wrote:: even make a few, in
|| different lengths.
||| Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
||| modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
||| Work with me here, we're on to something.
|| That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
|| extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
|| Fantastic!
|| I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
|| attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
|| the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
|| and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
|| to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
|| What do you think?
|| -- Andy
|
| You are a genius. And, to take that far-out thinking a step further,
| what if somehow, (I know I'm really reaching here..) one could
| someday select the direction of rotation? Huh? Huh? How's THAT for
| speculation. We're talking front-cover of Popular Science here.

Hey! I got one of those at Harbor Freight for really cheap.

Even better, they had a steel box with a set of 115 zero-clearance
drill inserts, with a free bit for each size. Problem is, I can't seem
to get the !@#% inserts out without damaging the box...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was Prometheus who stated:

The damn thing was never going to leave a 11' x 13' shop
with outlets on every wall. It's amazing how the cordless idea has
become so prevalent. They're great on a jobsite with no power, or for
a quick job in the backyard- but why in the hell would a person need
one inside the house when it's going to sit on one table at all times?

I use both my cordless drills inside; one in the house and one in the
Man Garage where the woodworking shop resides. Both places have power
everywhere too, but it's a lot more convenient without the power cord,
AND (this is critical) the cordless drills have torque level clutches,
but none of the power-cord drills have them.

Which brings up a question: Does anyone make a corded drill with a
clutch? I've never seen one, and I've looked . . . .

-Don
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
Robatoy (in )
said:

| On Nov 16, 6:11 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
|| Robatoy wrote:: even make a few, in
|| different lengths.
||| Wow... what a good idea. Hey... what about this idea: maybe make a
||| modular unit like that which can take more than one tool?
||| Work with me here, we're on to something.
|| That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
|| extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
|| Fantastic!
|| I was also wondering about having a sort of two-way device
|| attached to a tool, so that you could set it one way and make
|| the electricity go into the tool, and set it the other way,
|| and stop the elctricity. This way you wouldn't have
|| to remove the batteries when you wanted it to stop rotating.
|| What do you think?
|| -- Andy
|
| You are a genius. And, to take that far-out thinking a step further,
| what if somehow, (I know I'm really reaching here..) one could
| someday select the direction of rotation? Huh? Huh? How's THAT for
| speculation. We're talking front-cover of Popular Science here.

Hey! I got one of those at Harbor Freight for really cheap.

Even better, they had a steel box with a set of 115 zero-clearance
drill inserts, with a free bit for each size. Problem is, I can't seem
to get the !@#% inserts out without damaging the box...

Oh my! Have you tried an insert extractor?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus writes:

I still can't figure out her problem with the suggestion that she just
get a good DeWalt corded drill for $50 instead- I even offered to buy
it for her. The damn thing was never going to leave a 11' x 13' shop
with outlets on every wall. It's amazing how the cordless idea has
become so prevalent. They're great on a jobsite with no power, or for
a quick job in the backyard- but why in the hell would a person need
one inside the house when it's going to sit on one table at all times?

No matter what size the shop, I find a cordless drill works better 95% of
the time. You don't end up with tangled cords and having to find an
outlet every time you need a drill. If you put the dead battery on the
charger every time, there will be no issues with dead batteries.

I already have a cordless drill for use outdoors and such so the extra
cost really isn't an issue.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

Now this tread is getting silly. With the engineering and tooling required
to make a universal extender, it would be priced way too high and be too
large to be practical. Next thing you know, some moron will try to use the
extender with a lamp and damage the entire electrical grid. You're flirting
with danger there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

That's brilliant! So, you could have one of these cord
extenders, and just plug in whichever tool you wanted to use.
Fantastic!

Now this tread is getting silly. With the engineering and tooling required
to make a universal extender, it would be priced way too high and be too
large to be practical. Next thing you know, some moron will try to use the
extender with a lamp and damage the entire electrical grid. You're flirting
with danger there.

As you well know, the only way to damage the entire electrical grid is
when you pull out an extender by the wire and not the connector. You
could yank out quite a bit of grid fabric out of the wall when you do
that. Nobody has ever done that yet.

Very dangerous indeed. A whole buch of electricals could leak out and
form a puddle on the floor, and when you step in it......whoa boy...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote in
:

[...]

I've been known to stuck a hex-shank drill bit in a portable screwdriver
(one of those straight stick kind) for drilling a simple hole from time
to time. They do a pretty good job when you just need one or two small
holes.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:33:30 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

Prometheus writes:

I still can't figure out her problem with the suggestion that she just
get a good DeWalt corded drill for $50 instead- I even offered to buy
it for her. The damn thing was never going to leave a 11' x 13' shop
with outlets on every wall. It's amazing how the cordless idea has
become so prevalent. They're great on a jobsite with no power, or for
a quick job in the backyard- but why in the hell would a person need
one inside the house when it's going to sit on one table at all times?

No matter what size the shop, I find a cordless drill works better 95% of
the time. You don't end up with tangled cords and having to find an
outlet every time you need a drill. If you put the dead battery on the
charger every time, there will be no issues with dead batteries.

I already have a cordless drill for use outdoors and such so the extra
cost really isn't an issue.

All right, here's the problem in a nutshell-

She has problems with carpal tunnel, and cordless drills are heavier.

I already moved all the outlets up the wall, so that they are 4-6
inches above each table- and very easy to access.

And she didn't want to spend more than $50 new.

Add those things together, and I'd say it's a gem of a case for using
a drill with a tail. If she needs a cordless drill for something,
there's an 18v DeWalt in my shop that she's free to use any time.

A $50 corded drill is a good tool- a $50 cordless is junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Nov 16, 8:33 pm, "Warren Weber" hiview68NO
wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in

Robatoy wrote:
[...]

And they are used by MEAN parents to give innocent children a SWITCHIN' just
because the child was alone in the room when some expensive, fragile,
useless, and ugly piece of junk self-destructed.
It is extremely painfull.
DAMHIKT.