P van Rijckevorsel

Default Wood shreds... Follow-up

John Grossbohlin schreef
I've got a piece of pine that looks very strange so I started playing

around with it.
Jointer, planer, various hand planes, cabinet scraper, scraper, sand
paper.... doesn't matter, the wood peals apart. Score it across the grain
with a sharp knife and the wood lifts and shreds on either side of the
cut.

===========
I believe I found the explanation for the phenomenon described above.

Though having read a couple books on wood I picked up Hoadley's book
"Understanding Wood" from a remainder vendor a few months ago... along with
about 20 other titles. I finally got around to going through Hoadley's book.
On page 167 in a discussion of "raised grain" were found pictures and a
description that matched exactly what is described above. Seems this is the
result of dull planer knives, or knives that have been excessively jointed,
or too high a moisture content upon planing.

I have to wonder if such abused wood is salvageable as thinner stock???
John

+ + +
This refers to the second edition of the book (was page 154 in first
edition). I would not describe what is referred to there as "pealing apart",
although it is bad enough. The first step to salvaging obviously would be to
dry the wood?
PvR

John Grossbohlin

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
[...]

Did that piece of wood ever show up? (Went out in the mail... a bit pricy!)
If it did show up you would find that peeling is quite descriptive (I have
to admit that pealing isn't! ;-) )You could literally peel layers off by
catching a finger nail under a layer where it stood proud and pulling.

At it's heart the salvage question was about how deep the damage goes in
such a case. That is, is it isolated to say the top 1/8" or does the damage
pretty much go through a piece say 1/2" to 3/4" thick. The surface was so
bad I didn't try going any deeper than maybe a 1/32" to 1/16"...

John

Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood Phil Young UK diy 6 July 27th 04 01:30 PM
What Freemasons would like us to believe........ Henry E Schaffer UK diy 2 February 23rd 04 11:06 PM
RSJ on Wood lintel? G&M UK diy 2 February 13th 04 08:08 PM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM
wood use query - wood movement HarryM Woodworking 1 July 10th 03 03:38 PM