P van Rijckevorsel

Default Wood shreds... Follow-up

John Grossbohlin schreef
I've got a piece of pine that looks very strange so I started playing

around with it.
Jointer, planer, various hand planes, cabinet scraper, scraper, sand
paper.... doesn't matter, the wood peals apart. Score it across the grain
with a sharp knife and the wood lifts and shreds on either side of the
cut.

===========
I believe I found the explanation for the phenomenon described above.

Though having read a couple books on wood I picked up Hoadley's book
"Understanding Wood" from a remainder vendor a few months ago... along with
about 20 other titles. I finally got around to going through Hoadley's book.
On page 167 in a discussion of "raised grain" were found pictures and a
description that matched exactly what is described above. Seems this is the
result of dull planer knives, or knives that have been excessively jointed,
or too high a moisture content upon planing.

I have to wonder if such abused wood is salvageable as thinner stock???
John

+ + +
This refers to the second edition of the book (was page 154 in first
edition). I would not describe what is referred to there as "pealing apart",
although it is bad enough. The first step to salvaging obviously would be to
dry the wood?
PvR