Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 14" Rockwell Woodcutting Bandsaw ($450) on craigslist (Irvine, CA)

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/234537073.html

Please take a look.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/234537073.html

Please take a look.

John, I bought a new Delta just like it for $400 from Amazon. Does being 10
years old somehow enhance it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

John, I bought a new Delta just like it for $400 from Amazon. Does being

10
years old somehow enhance it?

I doubt seriously the one you got from Amazon was "just like that" under the
hood. Delta made some serious "value/price point engineering" changes in the
last few years which are not apparent on appearance, and few for the better.

Just looking at it, I wish I was closer to go have a look, I would be
tempted. I don't need another bandsaw, but they simply don't make them like
that anymore ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/234537073.html

Please take a look.

John, I bought a new Delta just like it for $400 from Amazon. Does being
10 years old somehow enhance it?

I doubt seriously if a contemporary $400 Delta band saw is the equal to the
Rockwell. :-)

I also doubt that the Rockwell saw is only 10 years old.

Being Rockwell does enhance it in my opinion (and it is just my opinion).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:45:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
roups.com...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/234537073.html

Please take a look.

John, I bought a new Delta just like it for $400 from Amazon. Does being 10
years old somehow enhance it?

In a word, yes.

It's probably older than 10 years, but that's beside the point. About
a year ago, a contractor I was working with drug an old Rockwell 14"
bandsaw into the shop to cut some rafters for a curved roof. The
thing had been sitting in his brother's garage unused for about 20
years, had no cord, and was covered in scales of rust.

He let me take a few hours to clean it up and put a new cord on the
beast, and after it was polished up a bit and had a new tail, that
thing ran as straight and true as any bandsaw I've used before or
since. Anything that can take that kind of abuse and still do an
excellent job at it's intended purpose is worth whatever the seller is
asking for it- if I lived near enough to make it possible to buy the
one the OP is selling, I might even break my golden rule, and borrow
money to buy it.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the new Deltas, but they don't
have the same level of engineering or material quality as the old
Delta/Rockwell or Rockwell labels. It's hard to explain if you
haven't used one of those old tools, but there is a qualitative
difference.

How much power do I need in a 14" bandsaw? [email protected] Woodworking 14 August 3rd 06 01:24 PM
Rockwelll 14" bandsaw O D Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 07:26 AM
Rockwell metal wood cutting bandsaw motor starter upgrade mferwerda Woodworking 0 June 9th 06 11:35 PM
Help: Drive belt coming off of Jet 14" bandsaw Jerry Woodworking 8 March 23rd 06 09:05 PM
Powermatic 14" Bandsaw & Dust Collector??? Mark Brubaker Woodworking 3 January 2nd 06 04:22 PM