Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default 14" Rockwell Woodcutting Bandsaw ($450) on craigslist (Irvine, CA)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:45:10 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
roups.com...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/234537073.html

Please take a look.

John, I bought a new Delta just like it for $400 from Amazon. Does being 10
years old somehow enhance it?

In a word, yes.

It's probably older than 10 years, but that's beside the point. About
a year ago, a contractor I was working with drug an old Rockwell 14"
bandsaw into the shop to cut some rafters for a curved roof. The
thing had been sitting in his brother's garage unused for about 20
years, had no cord, and was covered in scales of rust.

He let me take a few hours to clean it up and put a new cord on the
beast, and after it was polished up a bit and had a new tail, that
thing ran as straight and true as any bandsaw I've used before or
since. Anything that can take that kind of abuse and still do an
excellent job at it's intended purpose is worth whatever the seller is
asking for it- if I lived near enough to make it possible to buy the
one the OP is selling, I might even break my golden rule, and borrow
money to buy it.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the new Deltas, but they don't
have the same level of engineering or material quality as the old
Delta/Rockwell or Rockwell labels. It's hard to explain if you
haven't used one of those old tools, but there is a qualitative
difference.