Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much power do I need in a 14" bandsaw?

I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

More is better but you can get by with 1. IMHO the more power the better
the cut also.

Concerning size, my 16" Laguna has a smaller foot print than my old 12"
Craftsman and is shorter than many 14" saws with riser blocks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

You are going to try to resaw that width of those trees with anything less
that 1 1/2 hp? Good luck.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

2 hp min. You won't regret it! It will run better and safer!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I purchased the American made 1 1/2 hp Delta X5, a riser block, heavier
spring, Kreg fence, magnetic light and mobile base just before I retired.
You know the works. At least to the level I can afford on my hobby budget
and the last bandsaw I'll purchase. It cuts almost effortlessly through
anything I need to saw. Great for resawing hardwood such as you mention,
cutting out bowl rounds from half logs for my lathe, etc. It's a pure joy
to use. Overkill? I don't know. All I can say is I don't regret it a bit..

This isn't an ad for Delta, however; I did have to get a new cord from them
after installing the riser block. Cord between motor and switch became too
short and wouldn't allow switch to reach to its mounting holes. Apparently,
factory worker stripped a little too much wire before connecting to switch.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw
with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my
workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10"
piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.

There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws,
from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this
resawing job?

2 hp min. You won't regret it! It will run better and safer!

Safer??

You bet! Under powered tools are unpredictable when running at their
limits. It avoids binding, slow-down and such and the operator isn't
tempted to push on something harder or interrupt his thought and motion.
Think about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Safer??

You bet! Under powered tools are unpredictable when running at their
limits. It avoids binding, slow-down and such and the operator isn't
tempted to push on something harder or interrupt his thought and motion.
Think about it.

Ok, I can see that from some peoples stand point, but if I hear any of my
machines bogging down, I back off and don't push it. But then again, that's
me, so I can see why you said safer. Sorry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...
Safer??

You bet! Under powered tools are unpredictable when running at their
limits. It avoids binding, slow-down and such and the operator isn't
tempted to push on something harder or interrupt his thought and motion.
Think about it.

Ok, I can see that from some peoples stand point, but if I hear any of my
machines bogging down, I back off and don't push it. But then again,
that's me, so I can see why you said safer. Sorry.

For my employees, I want the most predictable operation...and that leads to
predictable production. It seems tool life is extended too. Maybe 2 hp for
a little bandsaw seems overkill but I'd bet blades stay cooler and last
longer since there's less chance of binding and strain...just an opinion.
My stuff is all big production equipment so I'm just guessing in the
home-shop realm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
...snipped...

For my employees, I want the most predictable operation...and that leads to
predictable production. It seems tool life is extended too. Maybe 2 hp for
a little bandsaw seems overkill but I'd bet blades stay cooler and last
longer since there's less chance of binding and strain...just an opinion.
My stuff is all big production equipment so I'm just guessing in the
home-shop realm.

I won't argue that 2HP might benefit a 14" bandsaw, but the usuall
single belt drive setup on a bandsaw with an 1800 or 3600 rpm motor is
pushing its limits at 2HP. 1.5 hp motors seem to be more common
(especially used) and certainly less expensive for new ones.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland