Posted to rec.woodworking
lens

Default How to replace 14" bandsaw wheel bearing? (not blade guides)

I have an old 14" no-name Taiwanese bandsaw that I am rebuilding. I
want to change the wheel bearings. I got the bearing out of the upper
14" wheel by heating the wheel in the oven (it's aluminum) and then
swapping out the bearing while the wheel was hot.

The bottom wheel has been tough. I slid the wheel off it's shaft. The
shaft rides on two bearings that are pressed in the inside and outside
of the frame casting (FYI - this is the drive shaft that also takes a
pulley) I manged to removed the shaft and one bearing by knocking the
shaft out with a 2x4. One bearing stayed on the shaft and came out with
it, but I can't get the other bearing out. It is firmly lodged in the
casting. There is only a small hole through the casting for the shaft,
so I can't stick something through the back and push it out.

How is this normally done? Since all of these saws are similar, I'm
hoping someone has done this. I tried a search, but all posts on
"bandsaw bearings" talk about blade guides.

Posted to rec.woodworking

can you use a deep socket that will fit over the shaft, and mate with
the bearing race. I will take a look at my ban saw and see how I would
go about it. I never would have thought to put the wheel in the oven,
how funny

Posted to rec.woodworking
lens

I can get the bearing off the shaft (I think) but the other bearing is
sitting in the saw. It's the one that's still in the saw casting that I
want to remove. Normally I could push it out from the back, but the
hole is too small to fit something that will push against the race.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"lens" wrote in message
ups.com...
I can get the bearing off the shaft (I think) but the other bearing is
sitting in the saw. It's the one that's still in the saw casting that I
want to remove. Normally I could push it out from the back, but the
hole is too small to fit something that will push against the race.

I believe I understand? The bearing is stuck IN the saw housing, right? Is
there any clearance behind the bearing at all, or is it right up against the
casting on the inside? If there is even a 1/16" to 1/8" gap behind the
bearing, go to a tool rental place and get a hammer type puller for inside
the bearing. It will have jaws that are close together with a small flange
or hook on the outside of the jaw. Put it inside the bearing and expand the
jaws so they catch the back of the inside race, then use the slide hammer to
pull it out.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

wrote in message
oups.com...
can you use a deep socket that will fit over the shaft, and mate with
the bearing race. I will take a look at my ban saw and see how I would
go about it. I never would have thought to put the wheel in the oven,
how funny

Many years ago, I worked for a close friend in a service station(a real
garage, not just a gas pump). We did tuneups, brake service, alignment, A/C
work and rebuilt alternators & starters. He had a trick for changing
bearings on Chrysler alternators. Use the special puller to remove the old
bearing, then put the alternator rotor in the ice cooler for 1/2hr. or so,
then put the bearing on an electric hotplate for about 3 min. Take rotor
out, pick up bearing with pliers and DROP it on the shaft. No need to press
it on. Give it a few min. to equalize temp. and bearing is there until a
puller takes it off. Not funny at all, worked real slick.