Jon Anderson

Default Anyone make carbide band saw blade guides?

I just bought a nice older Craftsman 12" band saw. This is has the die
cast body and is the older nicely shaped case with 4 chrome knobs
securing one side. The blade guides are but tiny little round brass
rods. I've read about solid carbide blade guides offering great blade
stability.

First question, are these applicable to a vertical band saw cutting
aluminum with no coolant? All the examples of solid carbide guides I've
seen are on horizontal cut off saws which have flood coolant.

Second, has anyone made their own?
Looking for tips/advice.

Thanks,

Jon
steamer

--Before you put on blade guides like this you might consider
going over to roller guides. They work really nice on my funky ancient
Dayton cutoff saw; don't think I've had to replace but maybe one in a
couple of decades.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : California: "The crap magnet
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : in America's crankcase".
Steve Smith

It seems odd to me to use a hard guide. Doesn't this destroy the set on
your blade? I've never used such, just soft guides like cool blocks.

Steve Smith

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just bought a nice older Craftsman 12" band saw. This is has the die
cast body and is the older nicely shaped case with 4 chrome knobs
securing one side. The blade guides are but tiny little round brass
rods. I've read about solid carbide blade guides offering great blade
stability.

First question, are these applicable to a vertical band saw cutting
aluminum with no coolant? All the examples of solid carbide guides I've
seen are on horizontal cut off saws which have flood coolant.

Second, has anyone made their own?
Looking for tips/advice.

I used to use Carter guides with carbide pads on a 36" saw
for both friction sawing and conventional aluminum cutting.
They worked very well with no coolant. Like this:

http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=41
&p_id=6&cat_id=12

Most DoAll saws use solid blocks of hardened steel for the
side guides. I've considered making a set with brazed-on
carbide pads for my 16" DoAll, but haven't got around to
it.

Round carbide blanks aren't very expensive from MSC or
McMaster. I'd give it a try.

Ned Simmons

Jon Anderson

Steve Smith wrote:

It seems odd to me to use a hard guide. Doesn't this destroy the set on
your blade? I've never used such, just soft guides like cool blocks.

The carbide pads, just like roller bearings, must be set back from the
teeth. One site I found that gave band saw tune up tips recommends the
front edges of the blade guides should be about flush with the bottom of
the gullet.

Looking at my upcoming work schedule I realized I really need this saw
cutting reasonably well by Monday, and since I have plenty of ball
bearings, ball bearing guides it is.
For now.
I'll experiment with carbide when I've got a bit more time to play.

Jon