Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tung vs Linseed

Okay, I guess I'm looking for some "old school" finishing tips here.
I'm in the process of building a large work bench, will be using it for
a variety of projects, and want to protect it from spills, stains, etc.
I don't want (or need) a glossy finish, I'm just looking for something
to protect the wood.

I've considered Linseed oil and I've even thought about Tung oil, but
never have used either of them on the top of a work bench before, I'm
not sure which might be the better choice.

The bench is pine construction with a top of 5/8" quality grade
plywood. I don't care if it darkens, in fact I think that process may
provide some "personality" to the bench. I'm simply trying to avoid a
mistake.

Can anyone provide me any "war stories" of having finished the top of
work bench that might guide me to an intelligent decision? Thanks.

M2C1

Posted to rec.woodworking

M2C1 wrote:
[...]

Six of one, half a dozen of the other...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

M2C1 wrote:
Okay, I guess I'm looking for some "old school" finishing tips here.
I'm in the process of building a large work bench, will be using it for
a variety of projects, and want to protect it from spills, stains, etc.

Oil, plenty of it. Scrape off the gunk as needed, re-oil frequently.
Oil is more resilient than varnish as it doesn't form a surface film to
flake. It's not a perfect glossy finish, but hey, it's a workbench.

Linseed is cheaper than tung but will yellow badly after a summer. If
you care....

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
M2C1 wrote:
[...]

My bench has a plywood top also. I used BLO when I built it about
8 years ago. I remember thinking that it looked too good to use as a
workbench, but that feeling didn't last long. Since then, whenever
I have a project being finished with oil or some kind of "Danish
oil" I rub the bench or some other wooden shop fixtures down with
the rags I used on the project before I lay them out to dry for
disposal. I got that 'tip' here on the 'rec.

The benchtop now has a slight shine to it but it also does have
a good number of stains, gouges, dents, etc. If your work habits are
like mine, and especially if SWMBO or others in the house share the
shop area and use the bench, in a few years you won't care so much
about stains.

I do still get somewhat riled when someone _else_ leaves a bad gash or
gouge in the bench, though.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

M2C1 wrote:
Okay, I guess I'm looking for some "old school" finishing tips here.
I'm in the process of building a large work bench, will be using it for
a variety of projects, and want to protect it from spills, stains, etc.

Oil, plenty of it. Scrape off the gunk as needed, re-oil frequently.
Oil is more resilient than varnish as it doesn't form a surface film to
flake. It's not a perfect glossy finish, but hey, it's a workbench.

Oil is more resilient! It is easier to repair, if that is what you mean;
but it is barely a finish at all with regards to protection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"M2C1" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, I guess I'm looking for some "old school" finishing tips here.
I'm in the process of building a large work bench, will be using it for
a variety of projects, and want to protect it from spills, stains, etc.
I don't want (or need) a glossy finish, I'm just looking for something
to protect the wood.

I've considered Linseed oil and I've even thought about Tung oil, but
never have used either of them on the top of a work bench before, I'm
not sure which might be the better choice.

The bench is pine construction with a top of 5/8" quality grade
plywood. I don't care if it darkens, in fact I think that process may
provide some "personality" to the bench. I'm simply trying to avoid a
mistake.

Hoping that top is thicker than 5/8. Dogs won't grab and stuff will bounce
when sitting up top being persuaded by a mallet. Having it that thin would
be a mistake.

Linseed is cheaper and smells better. Soak, wipe, week. One more soak, and
then use a paper towel with linseed on it to pick up the dust when you clean
it. Ought to be about once a year if the invisible top on my bench is an
indication.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in
news

"M2C1" wrote in message
ups.com...

The bench is pine construction with a top of 5/8" quality grade
plywood. I don't care if it darkens, in fact I think that process
may provide some "personality" to the bench. I'm simply trying to
avoid a mistake.

Hoping that top is thicker than 5/8. Dogs won't grab and stuff will
bounce when sitting up top being persuaded by a mallet. Having it
that thin would be a mistake.

The top on my plywood workbench is three layers of 3/4" cabinet grade
plywood. And usually a solid-core scrap fire door, too.

$15 for the oops door, $75 for the plywood. It's solid.

No opinion on the finish, other than to say that 'it's a workbench!'

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"M2C1" wrote:

Okay, I guess I'm looking for some "old school" finishing tips here.
I'm in the process of building a large work bench, will be using it for
a variety of projects, and want to protect it from spills, stains, etc.
I don't want (or need) a glossy finish, I'm just looking for something
to protect the wood.

snip

The bench is pine construction with a top of 5/8" quality grade
plywood.

I'd add at least 2 more layers of 5/8 plywood to adequately stiffen
top then cover with a piece of 1/4 hardboard that can be replaced as
needed.

Save the oil for another project.

Lew

Tung vs. linseed Leon Woodworking 18 November 7th 03 08:22 PM
Tung vs. linseed donald girod Home Repair 7 November 7th 03 08:22 PM
Tung vs. linseed Mzone719 Home Repair 0 November 6th 03 09:02 PM
Tung vs. linseed Leon Home Repair 6 November 6th 03 02:23 AM
Tung vs. linseed Bannerstone Home Repair 1 November 5th 03 04:30 PM