Leon

Default Tung vs. linseed

In a kitchen setting, I would highly advise using a more protective varnish.
These cabinets tend to be abused and wiped down more than any other in your
house.

That said, a common recipe for a finish is to mix equal parts of Boiled
Linseed oil, Tung Oil, and Varnish.

Rick Stein

Leon wrote:
In a kitchen setting, I would highly advise using a more protective varnish.
These cabinets tend to be abused and wiped down more than any other in your
house.

That said, a common recipe for a finish is to mix equal parts of Boiled
Linseed oil, Tung Oil, and Varnish.

You sure . . .? I thought it was equal parts of either turpentine or
mineral spirits, oil (either linseed or tung), and varnish?

Rick

Swingman

All of the above. Your mixture is often the ingredients in "Danish" oil and
its variants. The thinner is added for ease of application. Another common
recipe is what Leon said ... BLO/Tung/Poly(varnish) ... mixed by many a
woodworker, and sold commercially as "Sam Maloof" finish, among others,
because it is what he purportedly uses on his rocking chairs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Rick Stein" wrote in message

Leon wrote:
In a kitchen setting, I would highly advise using a more protective

varnish.
These cabinets tend to be abused and wiped down more than any other in

your
house.

That said, a common recipe for a finish is to mix equal parts of Boiled
Linseed oil, Tung Oil, and Varnish.

You sure . . .? I thought it was equal parts of either turpentine or
mineral spirits, oil (either linseed or tung), and varnish?

Joe Bobst

a common recipe for a finish is to mix equal parts of Boiled Linseed oil,
Tung Oil, and Varnish.

These home brew finishes are never as good performance wise as a quality
commercial product. Tung oil and linseed oil finishes cure by reacting with
oxygen in the air IIRC, and thus poymerizing. By themselves they will take
forever to cure decently, so adding varnish actually adds more of an oil, but
also a catalyst like cobalt napthenate to kick off the cure.
Some people like sticky kitchen cabinets, so it's a matter of taste if you'd
rather brew your own.
As in many things, newer technology displaces the old only because its better.
HTH

Joe

Bob N

Trent, Rick is right on the turps/oil/varnish mixture. You definitely want to use a more
protective finish than just oil. You might also look at the FWW article from last year
about rubbing in thinned spar varnish.

Mike G

It is oil, thinner, varnish. The results are basically a Danish oil. Very
high oil to resin content. While the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 formula is common you can
vary the properties by varying the ratio's.

The thinner helps in penetration of the oil and the varnish resins provide a
bit more protection then oil alone.

It makes little sense to mix three oils, varnish being a high ratio resin to
tung oil mix to start with, since you gain little and don't get the
penetration the above will give you.

But, like chicken soup it can't hurt and if it gives you the warm and
fuzzies, what the hell.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"Rick Stein" wrote in message
. ..

Leon wrote:
In a kitchen setting, I would highly advise using a more protective

varnish.
These cabinets tend to be abused and wiped down more than any other in

your
house.

That said, a common recipe for a finish is to mix equal parts of Boiled
Linseed oil, Tung Oil, and Varnish.

You sure . . .? I thought it was equal parts of either turpentine or
mineral spirits, oil (either linseed or tung), and varnish?

Rick

Which 'Tung Oils' are real? B a r r y Woodworking 5 July 2nd 04 07:34 PM
Tung Oil Application Help Needed David Patnaude Woodworking 4 November 30th 03 08:39 PM
tung oil vs tung oil finish C Carruth Woodworking 5 November 18th 03 04:47 PM
Tung vs. linseed Leon Woodworking 18 November 7th 03 08:22 PM
Tung vs. linseed Mzone719 Home Repair 1 November 5th 03 03:09 PM