Bannerstone

Default Tung vs. linseed

You might want to stay away from oil based finishes for the interiors. They
have a characteristic of smelling uncured for a long time afterwords.

The Tried and True Varnish Oil is supposed to be a solution to this sort of
problem but I understand its contingent on using very thin and well cured
between coats which is most easily done when the product is heated.

I'd be more inclined to use shellac on the interiors.

David

In article , Trent© says...

I'm redoing our kitchen cabinets...and I want to put oil on them when
I finish stripping them.

I did one very small door a few months ago...to see how it looked when
done. I used linseed oil on it...which is what I always use. It
looks great...exactly the look I'm looking for.

I have never used tung oil...have no idea even what it looks like when
on, etc.

Can someone give me some practical experience they've had with tung
oil? Is it much different in application...looks...etc. from linseed
oil? This is all going on birch, BTW.

Do ya think the one door with the linseed oil will match the tung oil
door? I was planning on putting on 4 coats of linseed oil. Will I
need that many of tung oil for the same level of protection?

TIA

Have a nice week...

Trent

Swingman

Agree about shellac being a possibility. However, from my experience, the
only dependable, long lasting, ultimately satisfying way to go on kitchen
cabinets can be summed up in one word: "lacquer" ... and I like spraying
shellac every chance I get.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Bannerstone" wrote in message
You might want to stay away from oil based finishes for the interiors.

They
have a characteristic of smelling uncured for a long time afterwords.

The Tried and True Varnish Oil is supposed to be a solution to this sort

of
problem but I understand its contingent on using very thin and well cured
between coats which is most easily done when the product is heated.

I'd be more inclined to use shellac on the interiors.

Tung Oil Application Help Needed David Patnaude Woodworking 4 November 30th 03 09:39 PM
tung oil vs tung oil finish C Carruth Woodworking 5 November 18th 03 05:47 PM
Tung vs. linseed Leon Woodworking 18 November 7th 03 09:22 PM
Tung vs. linseed Leon Home Repair 6 November 6th 03 03:23 AM
Tung vs. linseed Mzone719 Home Repair 1 November 5th 03 04:09 PM