Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice needed: splined long miter joint?

I'm working on a piece for my father - a display case for a hand-built
model train. This is my first "real" woodworking piece (other than
shelves).

I'm working with 1" thick walnut. The case has a solid bottom, front,
and back, with a carrying handle across the top. I'm mitering the joint
between bottom/front and bottom/back - so a 8" long miter across 1" stock.
I'm worried that it won't have enough strength, and so I'd like to put
a spline in along the miter joint. The jigs, etc. that I've seen work with
a miter across the material rather than along it, and I'm trying to figure
out how to cut the groove in the pieces. They're not glued, so can be
cut individually.

I have a tablesaw and a router table. Cutting the groove on the TS would
be straightforward - crank it over to 45 degrees and cut into the side of
the miter. I'm worried about how much the piece would kick, though, since
it seems like that's a really dangerous way to cut wood.

Any advice?

Also... I'm not very familiar with woods other than walnut and oak. For
a contrasting look, would light-colored maple complement well? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks!

Drew Bernat
abernat at zathras dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Drew Bernat" wrote in message

I have a tablesaw and a router table. Cutting the groove on the TS would
be straightforward - crank it over to 45 degrees and cut into the side of
the miter. I'm worried about how much the piece would kick, though, since
it seems like that's a really dangerous way to cut wood.

Not any more inherently dangerous if you use a miter gauge to make the cut
on your table saw ... no fence, though!

Also... I'm not very familiar with woods other than walnut and oak. For
a contrasting look, would light-colored maple complement well? Any other
suggestions?

Walnut and oak are a good contrast. Maple would also contrast with walnut,
but oak looks better, IMO. Cherry does also, but it tends to darken with
exposure, while walnut may get lighter, reducing the contrast.

The choice is basically a matter of personal preference.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Drew Bernat wrote:
I'm working on a piece for my father - a display case for a hand-built
model train. This is my first "real" woodworking piece (other than
shelves).

I'm working with 1" thick walnut. The case has a solid bottom, front,
and back, with a carrying handle across the top. I'm mitering the joint
between bottom/front and bottom/back - so a 8" long miter across 1" stock.

Even with a spline, you'd be relying almost entirely on the glue to hold
the bottom in.

Have you considered a variation of a locked rabbet? Put a 1/2" dado in
the front/back, 1/2" up from the bottom. Put a 1/2" rabbet in the
bottom so it fits in the dado.

With the bottom grain running front to back I'm betting it would be
plenty strong.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
mjd mjd is offline

Drew Bernat wrote:
[...]

I put splined miters in a set of shadow boxes for my daughter's
trophies, and instead of tilting the blade, I found I had an easier
time using a 45-degree jig (basically a 3-sided box out of birch ply)
with the workpiece clamped to it, mitered edge flat flush with the
table, and running that across with the blade at 90 degrees. It was
easier to ensure the proper depth of cut, at least for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:36:51 GMT, Drew Bernat
wrote:

[...]

There is a "lock miter bit" that is made for this application.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...PARTNUM=99-034

I'm not advocating this site, it's just the first one I found to show
you what I mean. They may be less expensive elsewhere- IIRC, Grizzly
has them as well.

Also... I'm not very familiar with woods other than walnut and oak. For
a contrasting look, would light-colored maple complement well? Any other
suggestions?

Butternut (often called "white walnut") looks great contrasting
Walnut. It has similar grain, but is signifigantly softer, and a very
nice gold color.

Maple will contrast, but it's hard to say how good it would look-
that's going to depend a lot on how you use it. Thin strips inset in
the walnut would look great, but larger pieces of it might look a
little forced- it's a big contrast.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2006-11-06 11:30:38 -0600, "mjd" said:

I put splined miters in a set of shadow boxes for my daughter's
trophies, and instead of tilting the blade, I found I had an easier
time using a 45-degree jig (basically a 3-sided box out of birch ply)
with the workpiece clamped to it, mitered edge flat flush with the
table, and running that across with the blade at 90 degrees. It was
easier to ensure the proper depth of cut, at least for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! I already cut the miters, but next time...
more planning, less cutting. Sounds like a jig is the way to go.

And I'll look into butternut. Time to see what the local Woodcraft carries.

Drew