Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Advice needed: splined long miter joint?

Drew Bernat wrote:
I'm working on a piece for my father - a display case for a hand-built
model train. This is my first "real" woodworking piece (other than
shelves).

I'm working with 1" thick walnut. The case has a solid bottom, front,
and back, with a carrying handle across the top. I'm mitering the joint
between bottom/front and bottom/back - so a 8" long miter across 1" stock.

Even with a spline, you'd be relying almost entirely on the glue to hold
the bottom in.

Have you considered a variation of a locked rabbet? Put a 1/2" dado in
the front/back, 1/2" up from the bottom. Put a 1/2" rabbet in the
bottom so it fits in the dado.

With the bottom grain running front to back I'm betting it would be
plenty strong.

Chris